Menu

Question regarding College of Charleston -- are any of your children attending?

southcarolinamom

We live in SC, and my dd is interested in COC for their theatre program. Was it hard for your child to transition from homeschooling to COC? We've looked at their website, noted the requirements, and she's deciding in the next month or so if she wants to apply.

We love the city and "all things Charleston."

I would love feedback, positive and negative, of your experience!

Thanks.

The daughter was not homeschooled, however. But she absolutely adores College of Charleston. She plans to attend nursing school so is a math/science gal. Can't really give you more info than "she loves it there," however. Her only "bad" experiece was with the Greek scene. She did not intend to go through rush, but changed her mind once she got there. She was rushed hard by several sororities, and was accepted as a pledge into a "good" one. However, she withdrew after one day because she realized that the girls had not portrayed themseleves accurately during rush. Apparently, this particular group (not sure about ALL of them) were a bunch of party girls, and this young lady is not into that at all. As soon as that became obvious, she backed out. Didn't burn any bridges and just said that her course load was really too much for her to continue with it.

She loves the area and the ability to walk so many places.

That's about all I can offer.

ETA: She got some nice merit money there such that she was able to attend just as cheaply there as she would have at our in-state flagship.

The daughter was not homeschooled, however. But she absolutely adores College of Charleston. She plans to attend nursing school so is a math/science gal. Can't really give you more info than "she loves it there," however. Her only "bad" experiece was with the Greek scene. She did not intend to go through rush, but changed her mind once she got there. She was rushed hard by several sororities, and was accepted as a pledge into a "good" one. However, she withdrew after one day because she realized that the girls had not portrayed themseleves accurately during rush. Apparently, this particular group (not sure about ALL of them) were a bunch of party girls, and this young lady is not into that at all. As soon as that became obvious, she backed out. Didn't burn any bridges and just said that her course load was really too much for her to continue with it.

She loves the area and the ability to walk so many places.

That's about all I can offer.

ETA: She got some nice merit money there such that she was able to attend just as cheaply there as she would have at our in-state flagship.

Good to know! Thank you so much - I'll pass the info. on to my dd. :D

I went to the website and didn't see the requirements for homeschoolers. We also live in SC. It looks like a nice school close to home. Anyway, are the homeschool requirements on their site?

It took us a while to find it too! Look at the bottom of the page on this link for homeschooled applicants:

http://admissions.cofc.edu/applyingtothecollege/freshmen/whatwelookfor.php

My dd is panicking b/c she needs a third year of a foreign language and another credit in higher level math. Math is her ... "downfall."

We are not far from CofC, and know several kids (homeschooled) that have attended there. They liked it. We looked at it, but ultimately chose the local university.

If your student takes a car there..... it is downtown and expensive to have a car. Just a heads up to check parking fees!

We are not far from CofC, and know several kids (homeschooled) that have attended there. They liked it. We looked at it, but ultimately chose the local university.

If your student takes a car there..... it is downtown and expensive to have a car. Just a heads up to check parking fees!

Thanks, Susan! On a "scouting trip" a couple of weekends ago, we noticed that parking is CRAZY downtown!

My dd was admitted to CofC for this year but chose not to go (mainly b/c of financial considerations). She thought that participating in dance and theater would be excellent there (she met with several faculty on our visit who were v. encouraging).

She was not accepted to the honor's college. We felt it was b/c of her "homeschooler" application information. We did not have any outside refs. etc.

On a funny note....when we visited, we parked in one of those pocket parking lots downtown....and when it was time to go, we almost did not find our rented car. So..write down where you park (we did the next day) b/c all of Charleston is charming and cute, and the parking lots are just stuck into all that cuteness...

Hope your dd goes there.

Edited by memphispeg
correxn

My dd was admitted to CofC for this year but chose not to go (mainly b/c of financial considerations). She thought that participating in dance and theater would be excellent there (she met with several faculty on our visit who were v. encouraging).

She was not accepted to the honor's college. We felt it was b/c of her "homeschooler" application information. We did not have any outside refs. etc.

On a funny note....when we visited, we parked in one of those pocket parking lots downtown....and when it was time to go, we almost did not find our rented car. So..write down where you park (we did the next day) b/c all of Charleston is charming and cute, and the parking lots are just stuck into all that cuteness...

Hope your dd goes there.

Thanks for the tips! The more I review their "homeschooling requirements" the more my stomach starts doing flip-flops. :001_huh:

She may end up doing a 2 year transfer program through Greenville Tech.. that would cut down on expenses, and give my dd a taste of college, while still keeping her local.

It took us a while to find it too! Look at the bottom of the page on this link for homeschooled applicants:

http://admissions.cofc.edu/applyingtothecollege/freshmen/whatwelookfor.php

My dd is panicking b/c she needs a third year of a foreign language and another credit in higher level math. Math is her ... "downfall."

Thanks! I was going to suggest this school to my son as an alternative to his first choice which is very homeschool friendly but far away. After reviewing their requirements, I am going to pass.

• 4 months later...

I know this is a very old thread, but I was searching for CoC info. This is the first college I've seen where one of the requirements is... Your homeschool curriculum should be from a fully accredited and recognized homeschool organization. If it is not, we require a GED. This is a pretty big strike against the school for me. Anyone found them to be flexible on this? Hubby is from Charleston and we plan to retire there in a couple years.

Thanks,

Gloria

I know this is a very old thread, but I was searching for CoC info. This is the first college I've seen where one of the requirements is... Your homeschool curriculum should be from a fully accredited and recognized homeschool organization. If it is not, we require a GED. This is a pretty big strike against the school for me. Anyone found them to be flexible on this? Hubby is from Charleston and we plan to retire there in a couple years.

Thanks,

Gloria

I understand! I kind of freaked out when I read that line on their website too!

I called the CofC admissions department, and was told that all we needed to do was send in my dd's transcript from our local homeschool accountability group. (It had everything on it from her junior year, plus the names of the courses she is currently taking her senior year) Everything was accepted, no questions asked. She was officially accepted within 6 weeks of sending in all their required paperwork.

Hope this helps!

Missy,

That helps a GREAT deal! So thankful to know that they are still in the picture for us. Thank you so much for the info!!

Gloria

:hurray: Please let us know when your child is officially accepted at CofC !!! The waiting is hard ....hang in there! (You probably will hear an answer within 4 weeks. We turned our paperwork in during Christmas break, when their admissions offices were closed for 2 weeks.)