Menu

Pilonidal cyst

I had this done when I was 14 or 15. We were told the ONLY option was to leave it open and let it heal, or the cyst would come back. So, that is what we did. 17 years later is has NOT come back, so I guess we make the right decision. I will say if I bump it or someone slaps me on the butt and hits the scar it is still to this day sensitive. Also, if I sit for too long it will get a little sore. I think that is just part of having a scar there.

After my surgery I had a home health care nurse that came for the first week to change the packing and also taught my parents how to change the packing. It took quite a while for it to completely close. The hole at first was HUGE! Like you could have laid a softball in it without it touching the sides. Mom was quite shocked the first time she saw it not packed. It wasn't nearly as painful as I expected it to be. I did sit on my side and propped with pillows for the first week or so.

If you have any other questions, I would be glad to answer them.

I have had three surgeries for this.

The first two were left open. The third one was closed.

My experience is the opposite of what is being suggested. The recovery was more difficult for the closed one. (Not a great spot to have stiches pull and everything seemed to pull them one way or another.)