Menu

AAS & 1st

mamamindy

We've been using Spelling Workout and I think we'll be making a switch. Which supplies/books to I need to purchase to get started?

Thank you!

-Mindy

ETA: We are also still using OPGTTR. Is this necessary with AAS? What age/grade is best to begin?

Edited by mamamindy

You will want their starter kit. See this.

Why are you switching? are you sure you need AAS? with 4 children, on the one hand you're sure to have another go at using it; on the other hand, it is time-intensive. If the child has no learning challenges I'd suggest going with Evan-Moor spelling on grade level (or above -- on grade level might be TOO easy, or it might be easy, fun and fast before moving onto the next book) and moving through that, for something simple and effective. But if you are sure you want AAS, that link goes to a page that lists what you need to begin.

(FWIW: I hated trying to do AAS with a toddler running 'round. Drove me bananas. Maybe others disagree.)

RE reading: AAS will help with decoding, but isn't really a reading program. You may not need additional phonics, but you'll want the child to read aloud to you a bit daily until/unless you are sure she is reading well. Then, once a week as per WTM.

Edited by serendipitous journey

Many use AAS for phonics, but we haven't. I wait until reading is established and we were mostly through phonics before going on to teach spelling as a specific and separate skill if needed (no natural spellers so far!) You'll need one teacher/student book "All About Spelling Level 1 Materials" set and the basic interactive kit to get started.

Why are you switching?

I haven't committed to switching... I am thinking that Spelling Workout may not work well with DD2. (I am thinking ahead, as she isn't working on spelling yet.) And I'm just not crazy about the program. I was seeing what else is out there, and I keep hearing great things about AAS.

are you sure you need AAS? with 4 children, on the one hand you're sure to have another go at using it; on the other hand, it is time-intensive. If the child has no learning challenges I'd suggest going with Evan-Moor spelling on grade level (or above -- on grade level might be TOO easy, or it might be easy, fun and fast before moving onto the next book) and moving through that, for something simple and effective. But if you are sure you want AAS, that link goes to a page that lists what you need to begin.

(FWIW: I hated trying to do AAS with a toddler running 'round. Drove me bananas. Maybe others disagree.)

I really appreciate you sharing the realities of the program. I really don't need anything to drive me any crazier than things already are :lol: How different is Evan Moor than Spelling Workout? I wonder if I could find anything locally so I could actually look at the books... Thanks for giving me some suggestions!

You'll need one teacher/student book "All About Spelling Level 1 Materials" set and the basic interactive kit to get started.

Thank you!

I actually have AAS1 up for sale on the forum sale board, if you're looking. This was the starter kit.

I will take a look if this is what we decide on! Thank you!!!

I used TM, student pack, letter tiles, magnets, box, laminated dividers.

I did NOT get the phonogram CD and never felt like I needed it.

Also, I got levels 1 and 2 since my son was reading well. I'm glad I did. Level 1 took 3 or 4 weeks (YMMV, of course).

Thanks for sharing your experiences! :)

I had a hard time originally incorporating all those tiles for AAS with my younger two girls running underfoot. Then I started to utilize an oil drip pan for our tiles and hung it just high enough to keep the small AAS tiles out of reach of little hands and I can use the bottom section of the part for my younger kiddos to use their larger Leap Frog alpha-magnets. It's been a great fit ever since.