Menu

Would you let your 14yo ds attend homecoming?

Would you allow your 14yo ds attend homecoming?  

1. 1. Would you allow your 14yo ds attend homecoming?

• Heck no! He's too young!
    • Definitely. Why not?
    • Under certain circumstances -please explain.
    • Other-please explain

My hubby and I are trying to figure out this whole teenage thing. We don't necessarily want him to be excluded from all high school norms such as dances, but 14 may be too young. He would be attending as a group (3 boys and 3 girls), but they have paired off into boy-girl.

So far we have decided that we would take him and pick him up. Also, we need to meet this young lady. Anything else? He said he's not interested in the girl, but he's still a young man with hormones.

My hubby and I are trying to figure out this whole teenage thing. We don't necessarily want him to be excluded from all high school norms such as dances, but 14 may be too young. He would be attending as a group (3 boys and 3 girls), but they have paired off into boy-girl.

So far we have decided that we would take him and pick him up. Also, we need to meet this young lady. Anything else? He said he's not interested in the girl, but he's still a young man with hormones.

Yes, I'd let him go, with the instructions that they are not to leave the premises or go off alone, drink, all that which could happen there.

I voted "Other".

We let our kids go out with groups to places, including to dances. DS16 hasn't been to any (his choice), but both my older kids went to these sort of things in high school starting at 14yo. I don't have a problem with group activities and usually am happy to drive if an older sib isn't available.

But our kids really weren't interested in the pairing-off thing at that age because of the no-dating-til-16 rule, so it sounds like you have a different situation there.

I don't have a teen yet, but... yes, I probably would. Even though they have "dates" it is a group setting. I would insist on meeting the kids he'll be with, and we would take him and pick him up, along with others in the group if needed.

Is it just the dance, or are there other activities (dinner, after-party) that are included??

Yes, depending though. We let dd go to dances etc. starting in 9th and age 14, but only with kids we knew she would be safe with and boys we met or felt comfortable with her going with. The kids would usually go in a sort of group thing, but obviously paired off. DS has had NO interest whatsoever in dances so he hasn't gone to one yet.