Menu

Gap in American history...go back or no?

I sadly have to admit that we slacked a bit this summer and did not go beyond the civil war. Now we are starting VP self paced and it starts with the Monroe Doctrine. My question is do I go back and hit what we missed with my 7th grader or just keep going and know that she will get it in HS. Suggestions?

Sounds like there is no gap at all, but actually just a little overlap -- the Civil War was 1861-1865; the Monroe Doctrine was passed in 1823. So it sounds like the VP will start you up just a little earlier than when you previously left off at the Civil War...

UNLESS, the VP is starting with LATER EFFECTS of the Monroe Doctrine (1880-90s: using it as justification for U.S. involvement in S. America; 1904: Teddy Roosevelt's Corollary justifing U.S. intervention in S. American politics; 1980s controversy of Iran-Contra scandal of U.S. involvement in Nicaragua).

If that is the case, then I think it would be a good idea to hit the key events of the Civil War and Reconstruction; many of those events set the stage for the Civil Rights movement decades later. It shouldn't be too hard to take a week or so to get the highlights...

BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.