Menu

X-post: MD school drops homework for reading

I love this.

And a teacher in a school in nearby PA announced she was going to insist upon at least 3 recess periods per day for her class. It is great to see some schools heading in the right direction!

(Another nearby school's teachers received a reminder that the 1-15 min recess policy would be strictly enforced :001_huh:)

(Another nearby school's teachers received a reminder that the 1-15 min recess policy would be strictly enforced :001_huh:)

Yeah, a couple years ago my neighbor complained that her dd's teacher didn't like the kids to go out for recess because it made them sweaty and stinky.

One recess? I remember getting 3 back when I was in school--morning, lunch, and afternoon. PE (once a week) didn't count as a recess either.

I love this. LOVE. IT.

What I don't understand are the parents who are complaining that their kids don't have homework. :001_huh: I just don't get it. I would have KILLED for this when DS was in public elementary school. His homework was relatively minimal compared to some other schools, but still. Some other teachers in the district were sending home hours and hours of homework every week. In my opinion, if a teacher isn't able to teach a class of elementary school students what they need to know in 7 hrs. a day, something is wrong.

I love this. LOVE. IT.

What I don't understand are the parents who are complaining that their kids don't have homework. :001_huh: I just don't get it. I would have KILLED for this when DS was in public elementary school. His homework was relatively minimal compared to some other schools, but still. Some other teachers in the district were sending home hours and hours of homework every week. In my opinion, if a teacher isn't able to teach a class of elementary school students what they need to know in 7 hrs. a day, something is wrong.

You and John Taylor Gatto! Doesn't he refer to homework as "surveillance"?