Menu

Dr. Hive: rash whenever I'm sick

When I get a cold or other upper-respiratory infection (especially when I'm running a fever) I usually develop a flat, mildly itchy red rash on my chest at some point during the illness.

Right now I have a scratchy throat, a mild cough, and feel like I'm coming down with something. Toward the end of the day yesterday, the familiar I-am-sick rash appeared on my chest and spread up to my neck. Although it's a typical symptom of illness for me, it still seems odd and is annoying.

I'm just wondering if it's common for anyone else. If it means something is wrong, then what might it be? Googling hasn't helped much. I haven't started any new medication or used any new soap or other products, so I don't think it's a contact or medication rash. I do have seasonal allergies but not any food allergies that I know of, and a previous test for celiac was negative. I do need to schedule a checkup soon, so if there is anything in particular I should ask to be tested for, that would be helpful.

Have you been taking anything for the cough/respiratory infection? I kept getting a rash with that kind of thing. Like everytime for a few years. Colds always turn to a chesty thing with me and I suddenly realised it was the guaifenesin cough medicine I was taking. I missed a day of using it when travelling and with in minutes of taking a dose I had a rash on my upper chest and my throat.

I also have a friend whose daughter gets a rash on her feet every time she gets sick. Doctor's have no idea why.

Have you been taking anything for the cough/respiratory infection? I kept getting a rash with that kind of thing. Like everytime for a few years. Colds always turn to a chesty thing with me and I suddenly realised it was the guaifenesin cough medicine I was taking. I missed a day of using it when travelling and with in minutes of taking a dose I had a rash on my upper chest and my throat.

I also have a friend whose daughter gets a rash on her feet every time she gets sick. Doctor's have no idea why.

I previously wondered if Mucinex was the culprit so I stopped taking it, but I haven't taken any cold meds lately.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but my dh and ds have both had cases of strep throat where the only signs of illness was a rash and a fever. Sometimes dh gets a scratchy throat, but ds never does. Usually it goes away on its own, but not always.

Could it possibly be strep?

ETA: Oh! Another thought. I have mild rosacea and it flares up badly on my chest and cheeks when I get sick. Could it be mild rosacea? (Are you fair skinned & flush easily?)

Edited by Element