Menu

Insurance questions with Diagnosis

6wishes

I am supposed to have a parent's consultation meeting tomorrow with a neuropsych Dr. for the actual testing to be done in Dec. It has come to my attention that with a diagnosis this will go on said child's permanent insurance record, and be considered a pre-existing condition? For the one dc, if she is diagnosed with ADHD, I think it's minor, and I wouldn't pursue medication (just wanting my own piece of mind to be satisfied was the reason for the testing). Second dc, I suspect dyslexia.

Can anyone tell me if both the ADHD would go on the record and the dyslexia, or just the ADHD? I'm just trying to figure out if I should not have one tested now (ADHD suspect), and just pursue with the one child I think has dyslexia...???

Thanks!

I thought the law had already changed so that children cannot be denied coverage due to preexisting conditions?

Technically it has. However, the regulations were not worded well and in some scenarios there are some loop holes that can be exploited to actually do the opposite. I believe that this is supposed to be addressed. I guess this is another reason it always ideal that you read legislation fully before voting on it.:001_huh:

I did find out they they don't release prognosis to anyone...even to our ped. Without signing a release. So, nothing goes to insurance company. They did say it could be requested by another phD, but they would have to have a reason for requesting...so, nothing on the insurance record :).

They told me they just tell the insurance company they suspect and are checking symptoms, but don't provide any of the report to them after evaluation is complete, and even the insurance company can't request records. She said it's treated differently then regular medical records...