Menu

skip singapore 6?

Hi all -

I just went to the Singapore forum (looking for information about worked solutions) and saw a post in which someone was advised by the administrator to skip Singapore 6 and go straight to DM 7. ???? Would that be possible?

http://www.singaporemaths.com/forums/showthread.php?3766-Standards-6a-and-6b

Is there anyone who has used both and could comment? Thanks!

Ann

That is only if you are using the California Standards edition. The reason is that the California standards edition incorporates most of the concepts introduced in Discovering Mathematics at the early levels. Much of the work will be redundant. However, Jenny (at the SM forums) has also indicated that some of the topics are covered in a better way in Singapore 6 -- I can't recall specifically which topics, but there were only a few.

That said, because we have loved the Primary Maths series, we ultimately decided to go ahead and finish levels 6A and 6B, and are just going to speed through the first levels of Discovering Mathematics where necessary. So, this is also an option for you.

I don't believe the skipping should be done from the U.S. Edition level 6, but you might want to clarify that by asking Jenny on the forum page.

That is only if you are using the California Standards edition. The reason is that the California standards edition incorporates most of the concepts introduced in Discovering Mathematics at the early levels. Much of the work will be redundant. However, Jenny (at the SM forums) has also indicated that some of the topics are covered in a better way in Singapore 6 -- I can't recall specifically which topics, but there were only a few.

That said, because we have loved the Primary Maths series, we ultimately decided to go ahead and finish levels 6A and 6B, and are just going to speed through the first levels of Discovering Mathematics where necessary. So, this is also an option for you.

I don't believe the skipping should be done from the U.S. Edition level 6, but you might want to clarify that by asking Jenny on the forum page.

Yeah, I saw that too. There are times when I part ways with Jenny, and I think this maybe one of them, but I'll keep reading, sometimes she changes my mind.

Here's the thing I know you can do all four levels of NEM and DM Additional Math in four years which means at the end of 10th grade you've really started on Calculus, which in my view puts you a bit ahead. I'm not as sure about doing all four levels of DM and Additional Math because we didn't do that.

So why rush to 7th grade? Even worse, NEM at least moves like the wind in the first half of NEM 1 and it ceases to be the nice, fairly concrete presentation that the primary series all have, instead you jump right to abstract thinking. I'm not sure how many kids could do that in sixth grade.

We certainly can skip 6, that was the answer i got when i asked Jenny on SM forum, but she asked.. Why? We ended up went through 6a and B textbook and workbook like 4 months. If My kid were older, I will do selected topic, ratio, proportional, speed, and most of 6b.mI will not do the 1st 4 chapters and concentrate on ip/cwp.

And one of the PP is right, if u are using US edition, the skipping is not as easy as using standard

We're using the standards edition. I plan on doing all of 5, then CWP and IP for 6 as we start with AoPS prealgebra.

We were also using Standards edition. We went straight from 5B to AOPS Prealgebra. It was a rocky start, but I don't think doing level 6 would have helped the transition. Now we are just finishing the fractions chapter and it's going much better. HTH.