Menu

Catholic Moms - Spiritual Dry Spell?

I converted in 2009. My husband did not convert with me. My sister converted in 2011 but she is not nearly as orthodox as I became (apparently she's still pro-choice, etc.) during my conversion. I did land in one of the best parishes I could have for my current situation, an orthodox parish with a fantastic priest and a very active, supportive homeschooling group.

With that said, I feel a little alone and tired. I didn't expect that a conversion would be easy and I am not saying it should be. But I don't think I realized I'd feel as lonely as I do. No one in my personal life (other than my young children who I am blazing the way for) are Catholic. I am still baffled by a lot of culturally Catholic practices (ie. single or double genuflection -WHO cares?!).

I've been reading and reading and trying to keep the momentum going but I'm tired. I know far holier and devout people than me (Mother Teresa springs to mind) went through very long spiritual dry spells and still managed to remain committed and move forward in their faith journey. I just want a little confidence back that I made the right decision and that I am not the crazy one. I feel like so many people in my personal life think I've fallen off the deep end and can't figure out what has gotten into me.

Any advice? Anyone who has been in this place before?

I sounds like you need a connection with other adults as much as anything. Is there an adult bible study or alter society that you could join. Do you sing? Can you join the choir? I think if you made connections with other Catholic adults, you might feel less lonely. My DD goes to Catholic Faith Formation (CFF) and just sitting chatting with other parents is nice.

Last year I met a Catholic Homeschooling Vegan mom who had never heard of TWTM. It was fun to talk to her, but the family moved out of state over the summer.

It happens. I don't think anyone who is honest will say that they always feel the intensity, which makes sense because having that all the time would likely burn you out.

What I do is try to take a step back and really look at what is going on in my life. Am I taking physical care of myself? Am I sleeping well? Am I overscheduled?

What does my prayer life look like? Do I need to switch things up and try another devotion (add in the rosary, Chaplet of Divine Mercy, a daily Mass)? Am I doing any Bible study or reading along with the daily Mass readings? Am I doing any spiritual reading and if so, do I need to switch that up (rotate through the saints, apologetics, church fathers, conversion stories)? Basically, I need to keep a good balance of these things. They don't need to take all day, but a few minutes here and there with a good mix of these things helps me stay connected and focused on Christ.

What does my downtime look like? What am I doing with it? Am I doing things that contribute to my spiritual health or detract from it? Same thing goes for the people in my life. Are they walking with me on the journey or leading me in another direction?

Most importantly, for me, when was my last confession? I need to go to the sacrament of reconciliation once a month or so, to really feel like I have the grace and strength that I need in my daily life.

have you considered a holy hour or daily mass? I love, LOVE, daily mass. It is quiet and beautiful and so uplifting and loving. I just can't say enough how much I appreciate it. Even if you could only go once per week or even once every couple of weeks at first.

Holy hour, too, is a beautiful thing. If you have a perpetual adoration chapel you can just stop by at any time you want. After a while you may feel like committing to an hour per week or so. I will tell you this, though: you may find it easier to commit to a specific hour than keep trying to fit it in. That was my case, anyway. I kept tyring and trying to "fit it in" but somehow it never fit. When I finally made the committment to a specific hour (in the schedule so I coulnd't miss w/o messing up the schedule or making someone late for work or something) it all fell into place. I also love my holy hour.

Also, if possible, you might look into a Catholic homeschool group near you.

One more thing, I have found the Jeff Cavins Bible Studies at once enlightening, motivating, and uplifting.

If I had to choose one thing, it would be either adoration or daily mass . . . scheduled in, committed, no excuses. If you find that your spirit is willing but your flesh is weak, commit to someone. Sign up for an hour; ask Father for a responsibility at daily mass (unlocking the doors, preparing the Mary altar, whatever).

It happens. I don't think anyone who is honest will say that they always feel the intensity, which makes sense because having that all the time would likely burn you out.

What I do is try to take a step back and really look at what is going on in my life. Am I taking physical care of myself? Am I sleeping well? Am I overscheduled?

What does my prayer life look like? Do I need to switch things up and try another devotion (add in the rosary, Chaplet of Divine Mercy, a daily Mass)? Am I doing any Bible study or reading along with the daily Mass readings? Am I doing any spiritual reading and if so, do I need to switch that up (rotate through the saints, apologetics, church fathers, conversion stories)? Basically, I need to keep a good balance of these things. They don't need to take all day, but a few minutes here and there with a good mix of these things helps me stay connected and focused on Christ.

What does my downtime look like? What am I doing with it? Am I doing things that contribute to my spiritual health or detract from it? Same thing goes for the people in my life. Are they walking with me on the journey or leading me in another direction?

Most importantly, for me, when was my last confession? I need to go to the sacrament of reconciliation once a month or so, to really feel like I have the grace and strength that I need in my daily life.

:iagree: all of that especially the bolded.

Newness brings something special with it. When that eases off you need to readjust. I agree with trying to find more community within your parish. God hasn't changed. ;) Keep at it. :grouphug:

Thanks everyone. Sometimes it helps to have people point out the obvious - prayer, go to confession, sit in adoration. :) These are all things I am not doing enough of!

I have to say that I do have a great parish community that I am involved in. Our homeschool group is very big 150+ and super, super active. I am very thankful for the moms I've met within the group that have become friends.