Menu

Ideas for in-home, DIY facial...spa treatment.

I have been struggling with the skin on my face for a while. I am getting ahead a little with Retin-A, but its been REALLY stressful around here lately due to crazy schedule, a health problem my mom has at present, rocket team, getting roped into some 4-H stuff we didn't think we'd have to make room for - these will at least be off the plate soon - Dh's Lyme's (I've been doing everything I can to relieve him of any responsibilities around the house or with 4-H and as much as possible with rocket team so he can get more rest while we wait for clearance from the infectious disease doc), etc. I'm feeling stretched thin and the idea of maybe a foot soak and facial sounds wonderful.

I'm actually thinking of scheduling some time Monday or Tuesday evening to make the males in my life LEAVE ME ALONE :D so I can pamper myself just a little.

I need to use mostly fairly natural items because my skin has become more sensitive since hitting my 40's :tongue_smilie:.

Ideas???? Anyone???? Recipes for foot soaks or facial elements? Series of steps?

Frankly, I'm not the kind of gal that normally does this type of stuff, so I really don't know where to begin. All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!! :001_smile:

Faith

I have a few natural ideas that I use regularly with good results.

I love to take a couple vitamin C tablets, grind them into a powder, mix it with a little water to make a paste, and put that on my face as a mask. Then I mist it with water (if I can find the mister) or just pat more water on with my fingertips every ten minutes or so. I leave it on for about half an hour, and it really makes my skin glow. Crushed aspirin is another good do-it-yourself mask that helps skin really glow.

I also like to use sugar as a gentle exfoliant (probably not the same day as one of the masks!). It's also great if you're traveling and staying in hotels. I don't bother to bring facial cleanser; I just use the sugar provided with the coffee service to wash my face. I splash water on, rub gently or vigorously with the sugar, and then rinse.

Coconut oil can make a great natural moisturizer (doesn't take much), or it can be mixed with sugar like above for a scrub that moisturizes. This can also make a great and gentle makeup remover. If you don't have coconut oil, olive oil can also work.

This might not be exactly what you are looking for, however these are natural products. I recently started using this skin care line. It was started by a 14 year old girl, after realizing the number of toxins that were in most products. I've been following her on facebook for about a month now.

I've used the skin care now for about 3 weeks. My face feels better than it ever has. Here's the link - http://avaandersonnontoxic.com/default.aspx

Here's her facebook page.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Ava-Anderson-Non-Toxic/130519185981?ref=ts

its been REALLY stressful around here lately

:grouphug: Faith, dealing with skin stuff or pretty much anything is not easy during stressful times. :grouphug:

I'm actually thinking of scheduling some time Monday or Tuesday evening to make the males in my life LEAVE ME ALONE :D so I can pamper myself just a little.

You should and you should feel zero guilt about it. We all need some pampering time. To me, it's an absolute necessity.

I need to use mostly fairly natural items because my skin has become more sensitive since hitting my 40's

Ideas???? Anyone???? Recipes for foot soaks or facial elements? Series of steps?

Right now, as I type this, I have clumps of avocado on my face. :D Love it.

I'll share as many tips as I can. It may be long and very overwhelming. Sorry. I'll try to not burden you with diet tips, drinking water, supplements, and avoiding the sun, etc. I assume that you already know that. I'm assuming that you're looking for practical suggestions - what to use on your skin, etc. Right? Or would you prefer that I post everything that I have? Let me know. :)

Edited by Negin in Grenada

I love to take a couple vitamin C tablets, grind them into a powder, mix it with a little water to make a paste, and put that on my face as a mask. Then I mist it with water (if I can find the mister) or just pat more water on with my fingertips every ten minutes or so. I leave it on for about half an hour, and it really makes my skin glow. Crushed aspirin is another good do-it-yourself mask that helps skin really glow.

I keep meaning to try the vitamin C tablet thing. I can't recall if it was you or someone else here who posted this a few months ago.

Vitamin C, applied topically can fade spots and even skin tone. You can spend a fortune on vitamin C products that may or may not be effective. For the past couple years, I simply open a vit C capsule and mix a pinch of the powder a spoonful of water. I spread the vit c water (and it looks like water), over my washed, exfoliated skin most nights. I then apply a moisturizing cream. One vitamin capsule lasts me at least a week. It is very inexpensive and takes moments. I keep a little fingerbowl in the bathroom cabinet for mixing it up ever night. My skin has a bright youthful look, with no dark spots. But, if you do this you really must commit to sunscreen every day.

The aspirin mask sounds interesting also.

I love your other tips.

I get facials about once every 6 weeks. They’re much cheaper here. To me, even if one can't afford to have them on a regular basis, it may be worth looking into a cosmetology school or whatever, or even having one every year or every 6 months.

Not natural, but I love Paula's Choice of skin care products. http://www.cosmeticscop.com/

She really researches and knows her stuff. She rates and reviews most products and doesn't push you to buy only her stuff or anything like that.

My skin always looks better and feels better when I use her products consistently. My esthetician can tell the difference. Others have complimented me also.

Although I use Paula's Choice, I don't use it very often – maybe two to three times a week, if I'm feeling very disciplined or not lazy, and usually even less than that. I think it's also a bit intentional. I'm trying to limit chemicals.

When I first started with Paula's Choice, I had scaly and dry skin.

I cut back on the BHA stuff/exfoliating to just a few times a week and not daily. I also moisturized a bit more. But, most importantly, I only use her BHA gel/exfoliating stuff at night. If I use it during the day, I end up peeling all over the place. I don't know why she suggests using it during the day.

I don't use the BHA Gel every single night. I'm not always consistent. Besides, I believe in giving my skin a break every few nights.

Her products are not excessively pricey. Also, they have trial/sample sizes.

One major thing I love is that her moisturizers can be used as eye creams also.

I love exfoliation and recently splurged on the Clarisonic. If you can't afford it, you can use other means of exfoliation:

Baking soda and water, the Exfolia Cloth - to name just a few.

I also do a weekly mask. Sometimes homemade and sometimes not.

For my skin to look good, it's pretty much all about diet. The healthier I eat, the better my skin looks.

The best moisturizers are packed with antioxidants. Get a ripe avocado and gently massage some of the pulp into your face. Allow its oils to penetrate your skin, then remove whatever remains with warm water and blot carefully. If your skin is too oily, rub a little fresh cucumber on it instead. I'm doing this right now. :D

Evening primrose oil, jojoba oil, hazelnut oil, olive oil and safflower oil are also soothing, effective moisturizers. Apply any of these to your face for half an hour, and cover it with a hot, moist towel. Rinse it off with warm water, then seal your pores with cool water. Right now, I absolutely love jojoba oil on my face and scalp.

To revive tired skin each morning, apply cold water all over your face. It will cause your skin to contract, leaving it fresh and tingly, as well as boosting circulation and making you feel energized.

The best way to apply a moisturizer is not to rub, but rather dab and lightly smooth it on, allowing it to be absorbed by the skin.

Always keep in mind that overmoisturizing the skin can impair healing and cell production, so it is important not to overdo!

Wrinkles aren't typically what make a woman look old, but loss of something called "brightness". Cellular build-up and clogged and enlarged pores can make skin look dim and dull. Young skin renews itself every month. As we get older, the process slows down, so gentle exfoliation will help to scrub away dead cells and leave you with smooth skin.

Nothing beats having facials, but if you can't afford them, you can do so at home. Before thinking about make-up, if you can afford to see a really good aesthetician for as long as your budget allows and as often as your budget allows, you would benefit profoundly.

One of the keys to keeping skin young is regular and gentle exfoliation.

Always be more gentle than you think you need to be! Older skin needs careful treatment. Exfoliate gently.

As I mentioned earlier, I love the Clarisonic, Exfolia Cloth, Baking Soda paste, etc. I also love Paula’s Choice BHA Gels. The purpose of these acids is to remove the dead cell layers which cause loss of skin brightness. They contain salicylic acid which helps with pore problems. I only use them at night, however, and not every single night – a few nights a week.

Exfoliating scrubs used twice a week will help with blackheads and increase brightness. One I really like at the moment is made by DHC. If you use one of the scrubs, the particles should be smooth and feel like sugar in your hand. If they are too big or rough, they can tear skin. Go for a gentle product with a manufactured exfoliant - like micro beads - versus a natural exfoliant like seeds or pits because the rough edges can actually cause little scratches on your skin and cause more damage in the long run than help. This is one time natural is not necessarily better! Use only your ring finger to massage a manual exfoliant on your face as it has the lightest touch - even though it feels so good to REALLY scrub! Remember to always be more gentle than you think you need to be! Always err on the side of babying your skin.

I also really like:

Mary Kay Time Wise Microdermabrasion– the entire Mary Kay line is said to be good

Sephora Microdelivery Peel

The skin repairs itself most effectively between the hours of 1 AM and 3 AM, so products aimed at addressing problems will be more effective overnight.

EYE CREAMS

I love that Paula’s Choice line of products can be used for the eyes also.

Don't bother with Strivectin. SCAM – doesn’t work and is ridiculously expensive.

Since you mentioned foot scrubs:

I try to slather my feet in Vaseline and wear socks as often as possible. My feet are usually super-soft. Sometimes I sleep with the Vaseline and socks.

Treat yourself to weekly salt or sugar foot scrubs. The transformation to your feet is fabulous. Use the hottest water you can stand, and enjoy them.

Again, if you want all my info - diet, supplements, etc. - I can share that also.

Retinol is good. I haven't started using it yet. I have very specific tips on that if you or anyone here is interested.

Thanks everyone! Negin, that was great...I LOVED all of the tips. I've got Vitamin C here and that's a good jumping off spot. I'm making a list of the others. I was able to find a few minutes for a foot soak tonight but no facial. I've got sick kiddoes and one was running a high temp. Sigh....

But, I'm still determined to make it happen.

Faith

I've got sick kiddoes and one was running a high temp. Sigh....

:grouphug:

A few more:

Jojoba Oil/Almond Oil Treatment - can't remember if I shared this one already

Apply to face

Cover face with hot, moist towel for half an hour - sometimes I can't leave it on for that long

Rinse with warm water

Seal pores with cool water

Don’t overdo the ice cold water!

Get a ripe avocado and gently massage some of the pulp into your face. Allow its oils to penetrate your skin, then remove whatever remains with warm water and blot carefully. If your skin is too oily, rub a little fresh cucumber on it instead.

Honey on skin for at least 20 minutes

Combine 1/4 cup oatmeal, 1 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp olive oil, and 1 egg white