Menu

Here are my possible explanations, in no particular order: :D

1) Amnesia. I bet she made the plans with you, and then suffered a head injury that gave her amnesia, and she doesn't even know who you are anymore, but she doesn't want to be embarassed, so she's just flaking on the date.

2) Multiple personalities. One personality wants to get together. The other one hates your guts. She tried to make a date/ get it on the calendar, but the other personality scratched it out.

3) Aliens. She's really been taken over by aliens that look like her but have terrible times reading Earth calendars.

:grouphug:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Finally! A rational explanation! :D

Wow, I've learned a lot from this thread! I never knew that "We should have dinner sometime" meant "let's not have dinner EVER!" :lol: What if you really did want to have dinner with someone sometime? What do you say then?

Hmm... Now I'm worried that people thought I was brushing them off when I've said things like "we should have a playdate sometime." Do they think I never want to have a playdate - I'm just being polite in my rejection?

People are confusing!

OP, I'm sorry she is being flaky with you! I would just give her some space and see what happens. Maybe she is just overwhelmed with personal stuff right now and can't deal with something else on her plate.

Wow, I've learned a lot from this thread! I never knew that "We should have dinner sometime" meant "let's not have dinner EVER!" :lol: What if you really did want to have dinner with someone sometime? What do you say then?

:lol: This whole discussion reminds me of the Friends episode where Chandler can't stop saying, "I'll call you!" to Rachel's awful boss, so he keeps ending up having to take her out because he doesn't know how to end a date any other way.

What if you really did want to have dinner with someone sometime? What do you say then?

You say "Would you like to come to our place for a meal? Great! Well, dinner on Wednesday would suit us. Or would a weekend brunch suit you better?"

Or if you're busy right now, "I'd love to have you over for dinner, but things are really busy for us at the moment. Could I phone you next month to organize a date?". And then make sure you phone them.

Sometimes I really do wish that everyone could be like Brad Blanton and we wouldn't have to wonder whether people meant what they said. But otoh it does come as quiet a shock when it happens.

Once, I had an acquaintance with kids close to my kids' age. They lived close to us and we saw each other at least once a week in the library or around the town and always had a chat. One day I said something like "Hey, would you like to bring the kids to ours for a play one day?" and she actually told me she didn't want to be friends. She did it quite courteously, something along the lines of that she didn't feel she had space for more friends in their life at that time, but still I was in shock for months afterward that she was actually honest enough to say that, when most people would just go "Yeah, that'd be nice, we should do that some time" or ""We've got a lot on, but sure, when things are quieter we'll get together".

Edited by Hotdrink

:lol: This whole discussion reminds me of the Friends episode where Chandler can't stop saying, "I'll call you!" to Rachel's awful boss, so he keeps ending up having to take her out because he doesn't know how to end a date any other way.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I loved Chandler. He was my favorite character.

Send her an email, apologizing profusely for having to cancel your dinner plans for the 3rd because something has come up and you won't be able to make it. Point out that you were looking forward to seeing X and her dh, and that you know she was, too, since she'd written it down in her organizer, but there's simply nothing you can do. Gosh, do you ever feel badly about it. :tongue_smilie:

Feign sincerity.

And then don't make any more plans with her.

Well, the only problem with this is that it is a lie. And there is the minute chance that she is actually coming over, since, as of this post, it has not yet occurred.

Now I have to finish the thread and find out what happened!

Well, sure, ladies! I'd love to have you over! Let me check my calendar and ask my husband first.

:p Like I'm going to share my ribs.....

I just love that "ask my husband" stuff.

Like my husband makes any social plans. It's ALWAYS the Mom and my husband will just be where he is expected to be.

So I know that is always a tip off that I'm being brushed off, unless it is very specific and truthful....as in, "My husband (ER doc) is on call one Friday night this month so I will get back to you on Monday and make sure that night is free." And then she does it.