Menu

HELP!! Time Travelers history series need some suggestions

Lori

I am doing a history class starting in sept. I am trying to determine what is the best way to do the lessons - there are 15 lessons on each cd and I want to get through all 4 cd's in 1 year. We will be meeting every week for 1.5 hrs.

Any one have any suggestions. What have you done? what worked good?

Also can someone tell me if buying the complete kit from winterpromise is worth the extra 30.00 ? I have been printing papers all day. Is there a better way to do this? I thought I could just push the print button and it would print everything for me at once but it doesn't I have to sit here and do each lessons and each project. There has to be a better and faster way to do this.

I am really excited about using this I know the kids are going to love it!

thanks

Lori

I've only done the Colonial CD and to be perfectly honest, I can't imagine doing all four in one year. Maybe I'm lazy or something, but I think that is an awful lot of work to smash into one year. BTW, my Colonial CD has 25 lessons on it.

I thought the complete kit was a lot more than $30 too. I remember something about $60, not $30.

I wouldn't try to print it all out at once. I would do one week's worth at a time. You can't really print it out in one fell swoop because you need different paper for different projects (colored paper, white paper, white cardstock, colored cardstock, transparency film, etc.)

We did a little something everyday and I really cannot wrap my mind around trying to do a lesson in 1.5 hours.

Anyone else??? I'm really curious to know if anyone else thinks this is even close to being doable.

another questions for someone: the TT student pack that you can buy from winterpromise website is 60.00 but it does not let you chose which one you want: new world explorers, colonial life, american rev. or 19th century?

since there are 4 of them. How do you know what you are getting? Am I missing something here?

Also, I know there are 25 lessons on each time period. In a class situation, obviously we will not be able to do everything. I am going to take 10 weeks to do each time period.

The 60 dollar package includes ALL four CDs worth of materials (at least the ones scheduled in the WinterPromise program). (but it does not include the CD, that comes with the main theme set).

I believe as the previous poster said, your materials will last you far longer than 1.5 hours per week if you want to get through all 4 CDs.

Is this class for a co-op? B/c the CD is only for family use.

I am not trying to rain on your parade, just don't want you to find out too late.

Here are my suggestions:

***I would either concentrate on creating a notebook or a lapbook for each CD (each time period.) Then you can pick projects based on that choice.

***Plan on homework for a few of the lessons (like the vocab/definitions; those would be less fun in a classroom.)

***Plan for a party/wrap-up session for each CD. It is a ton of fun. For the party, assign each student a recipe/bigger project to share.

Good luck!

oh.. and I am planning on doing a lapbook for each time period.

I will be assignning homework each week for those that want to do more. I thought it would be good to have the kids read a book from that time frame also.I dont think 10 weeks for each time period is too much. Especially with the explorer one. I can pick and chose which explorers to focus on.

I am trying to decide what I want each family to purchase. The cd or the kit.

So for 60.00 I can get all 4 cd's worth of materials?

Yes, I was confused about this too when I saw it on their website. It isn't really clear is it? I think you may have to just call them to clarify. Also, you may want to call Homeschool in the Woods and ask them what they would prefer regarding the CD or the kit. The page called "Acknowledgments" says that use for a classroom is strictly prohibited. You may have to ask each family to purchase the CD and then ask them to print out each week's lesson.

If you are teaching a co-op class you can buy classroom versions of the cd from Veritas Press. They are more expensive- $57.90 per cd, but cheaper than having all the families buy one! I'm using them in my two day co-op next year. I'm thrilled that Veritas picked them up and is offering classroom versions. They also have classroom versions of the timeline figures cd too.

If you are teaching a co-op class you can buy classroom versions of the cd from Veritas Press. They are more expensive- $57.90 per cd, but cheaper than having all the families buy one! I'm using them in my two day co-op next year. I'm thrilled that Veritas picked them up and is offering classroom versions. They also have classroom versions of the timeline figures cd too.

I'm not seeing it - can you post a link?

I used this is a small co-op setting last summer and it took us getting together 13 days for 3-5 hours each time to complete Colonial Life. We did a lot in the CD, but not everything. This was one of the BEST studies we did a group setting by far.

Just so I understand, you are meeting for 40 days through out the year for 1.5 hours each day? If you pick and choose what you want to do and not do it all, it would work for you. You can't do it all getting together with that limited amount of time. And I commend you for being able to pick and choose. Boy, I'd have a hard time. But I have one of "those" personalities. :)

If you are planning on doing the lapbook, you may want to focus on the pages/sections that go along with the lapbook. You could always send home the pages you didn't get to as homework. We also did the copy work and vocab cards on our own with a quizzical board during co-op time. If they got the answer right, they got a treat (m&m, skittle, etc.). You will also have to squeeze in her HIGH QUALITY projects too, and bake some of her goodies.

What a blessing this study was for our families.

I am trying to decide what I want each family to purchase. The cd or the kit.

So for 60.00 I can get all 4 cd's worth of materials?

Be aware, this is ONLY the consumable stuff. You don't get the printed out text with that at all. The printed out text and the CD are part of the WP theme. (IOW, to have it ALL and ALL printed, you'd have to buy the $149 Time Travelers set (includes printed out text) and the $59 student pack.

Or you could email Amy Pak at Homeschool in the Woods and ask her. She is the author. I have found that she answers emails promptly. And she is very kind!

http://www.homeschoolinthewoods.com/HTTA/Contact.htm

I don't know if I can link a search, but I searched under "school version cd" and on page 3 it

The American Revolution CD (school)

Amy Pak

Colonial Life CD (School Version)

Amy Pak

New World Explorers CD (School Version)

Amy Pak