Menu

Phonics/Reading Program to move from 3 letter words to 4+, Dancing Bears??

freemanfamilyof6

I was wondering if there is a good phonics/reading curriculum to help my daughter who is K level (actually 5 next week), progress her reading. She is reading 3 and 4 letter words with short vowels well. She also reads some long vowels but still doesn't quite have it.

I bought Winter's Promise Advance K Language Arts program, but is seems to be progressing WAY to slow at the moment. Maybe I'm just not patient enough? She wants to read, and even though I work with her the stuff is below her ability level. Any ideas? We also own Hooked On Phonics K-2.

My oldest daughter is using Dancing Bears Fasttrack to help because she has stuggled with phonics (she is 2nd). But I really like the program. I was wondering is Dancing Bears Level A would be the right place to start? I see there is a level below that called Bear Necessities, though. I like that this program is open and go, and I don't need much to prep. Other suggestions are welcome though, too. Thanks.

I think I would just focus on reading books that are on her level. I have a list on my blog that might interest you.

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/p/lets-read.html

We are using HOP. DD started HOP K fall 2011. We will start HOP 2 in a month or so. We've taken a few breaks in there. I know it's frustrating. You want them to be able to decode everything immediately, but I think fluency is key. Even if they can decode every word out there, it means little, if their fluency is not there.

On the other hand, if your child is a fluent reader at whatever level she's at, then maybe you should look in accelerating. If she still takes her time, I'd work on fluency and keep going with your curriculum. You'll get there.

I don't think you need Bear Necessities. I started with Dancing Bears A towards the end of last year, when my DS2 was a young 5. It's gone very well for him. He was already good at blending. He needed the cursor method and the repetition to help him focus on the phonograms and remember words.

I would take a look at the full sample of DB A on their website and see if you think it would move fast enough for your DD. The early part is still a lot of short vowel sounds, plus "ee" and a few "sight words" ("you", "the", "my", etc.). I've taught DS2 about open and closed syllables via Webster's Speller long ago, so the only "sight word" so far for him is "you". The others, we can sound out.

Bear Necessities A1 and A2 are the "industrial strength" version of Dancing Bears A. I think they broke Dancing Bears A book into two books (Bear Necessities A1 & A2) for kids that need the extra practice.

It sounds like your DD would do great with Dancing Bears A.

I think I would just focus on reading books that are on her level. I have a list on my blog that might interest you.

http://bluehouseschool.blogspot.com/p/lets-read.html

We are using HOP. DD started HOP K fall 2011. We will start HOP 2 in a month or so. We've taken a few breaks in there. I know it's frustrating. You want them to be able to decode everything immediately, but I think fluency is key. Even if they can decode every word out there, it means little, if their fluency is not there.

On the other hand, if your child is a fluent reader at whatever level she's at, then maybe you should look in accelerating. If she still takes her time, I'd work on fluency and keep going with your curriculum. You'll get there.

We also uses HOP for my DD, we finish HOP 2 few months back. We tried few program, they were just boring, HOP has little stories in between lessons and books really get my DD attention. I will recommend to get the newer version, I like the stories a lot better. If she is reading 3, 4 letter words, I think the 1st grade level 2 will be a good start

My DD loves the HOP stories too. (And, the little art projects that she has to read directions for.)

We also uses HOP for my DD, we finish HOP 2 few months back. We tried few program, they were just boring, HOP has little stories in between lessons and books really get my DD attention. I will recommend to get the newer version, I like the stories a lot better. If she is reading 3, 4 letter words, I think the 1st grade level 2 will be a good start