Menu

what are your essentials for your school room?

Mom to 3+1

I am blessed to have a separate school room option, outside of my house. the problem I found last year, other then it is a little small for 4 students, is that almost eveyday I needed something in the house, a grownup dictionary, another version of the bible, etc. what do you find are your essentials for your school room to function smoothly? any and all thoughts welcome. Laura

computer (we have a wireless router so we have internet access in the classroom) globe, large desk that ds (an only child) and I sit at together, all our curriculum books and reference books, general supplies such as paper and pencils, calculator, pencil sharpener. As soon as I hit "submit reply" I'll think of something else I can't do without.

Definately bookshelves, reference books used just for the schoolroom, copier/fax/scanner, white board, closet or shelves for school supplies, laptop wireless computer. OK, so maybe the computer isn't totally necessary, but it sure is nice:001_smile:

Did I mention bookshelves?

We go through lots of "hand wipes" and paper towels for art class, I am finishing up with re-organizing our schoolroom. I have a Math center (two plastic pull-out drawers) with ALL our Math manip's. I have a writing center, using the "The Desk Apprentice" and a student resource writing book I made. I put a electronic dictionary, paper, pencils, erasers, thesaurus, composition checklists, folders as well as the writing plans. I have a portable cd/tape player (with headsets), I bought one of those kitchen round thingies you put kitchen tools in and filled it with glue sticks, scissors, paint brushes in the center, markers and twist-able crayons. I also have floor to ceiling book shelves, and a college fridge slid under the table for water, and yogurt and cheese sticks, my kiddos will take an hour to go find a snack Ü

I wanted to add we put a large dry erase board in, I had them cut it to the full size of our bookshelves, then had them cut that in half. We used kitchen cabnit hinges and fixed them to the out side of the book case. So for lessons it looks as if I can closing doors on the book case and I can write on it, when company comes I shut it and wipe it off and the room looks really neat. Then I just open both sides to acess the book case.