Menu

Is ordering the lab supplies for Apologia Physical worth the money?

We did not use a kit. I remember the items as being pretty much common household items but we did not do every experiment--my dc's have done a lot of experiments over the years and tend to veto ones that are repeats.

There is a list in the book of everything needed. You should also be able to get one from googling. It all depends on what you have at your house. We have alot of science supplies from past experiments stored together for easy access.

That being said ordering the kits (we did for SL always) makes life much easier. It ensures the experiments get done. It also makes it easier for dc's to work fairly independantly.

The kit is more convenient, but you can get almost everything from your home or at Wal-Mart for less $. Just hide the bag of balloons from your children until you need them.

I will tell you a funny story about experiments this year. Ds18 volunteered to take over the experiments with his younger brother when I was down with morning sickness this spring. There is one experiment about the doppler effect that involves driving your car at a fast speed and laying on the horn to observe the effects on the sound waves. Of course both boys thought they must do this optional experiment, but they didn't warn me. I was awakened from a nap by sound of a blasting car horn, and I see my ds's car careening down our long driveway. All I could think was that the gas pedal was stuck and he couldn't control his speed. I shot out of bed in a panic and ran out to the driveway to find a crowd of children in the yard cheering him on while learning about the doppler effect. :)

The kit is more convenient, but you can get almost everything from your home or at Wal-Mart for less $. Just hide the bag of balloons from your children until you need them.

I will tell you a funny story about experiments this year. Ds18 volunteered to take over the experiments with his younger brother when I was down with morning sickness this spring. There is one experiment about the doppler effect that involves driving your car at a fast speed and laying on the horn to observe the effects on the sound waves. Of course both boys thought they must do this optional experiment, but they didn't warn me. I was awakened from a nap by sound of a blasting car horn, and I see my ds's car careening down our long driveway. All I could think was that the gas pedal was stuck and he couldn't control his speed. I shot out of bed in a panic and ran out to the driveway to find a crowd of children in the yard cheering him on while learning about the doppler effect. :)

:lol::lol::lol:

I ordered the kit sold by the local homeschool store mainly because in my tiny town I don't always have access to "everyday" items, so I bought a kit that has everything prepackaged by lab. I think the one home science tools sells is a fraction of the price of the one I ordered but has less in it, mainly the tougher to find items. For us with out the kit the experiements are less likely to get completed.