Menu

Need science help

DragonFaerie

Due to unforeseen extenuating circumstances, most of our curriculum this year really needs to be as completely independent as possible. I think I have everything covered except science. I hate science. I stink at science. Science is why my folks think the kids will eventually have to go back to public school. :ack2: But I need a solution for right now, like right now.

I have RS4K that I was very excited about but that was "before". Now I need something much more independent. No "read and discuss." No "your teacher will ______." I really want something for grades 4/5 that is completely and totally online- lessons, videos, lab demonstrations, everything. I would like it to include some sort of interactive activities (quizzes, questions, something) and no "hands on." Examples of things that are working well for us include Wordly Wise online, Rosetta Stone spanish, TT. Oh, and it can't be expensive. Am I dreaming? Is there some fantasy science curriculum out there for me?

Aha Science sounds like what you're looking for. It's complete with little unit quizzes and such. I wanted to use it this year but decided to wait until next year. It looks very promising though!

http://www.learning.com/providers/learning/product.htm?ahascience-35curriculum

I actually used Aha Science a while back. It was okay. The kids liked the lessons well enough, but for whatever reason, when it came to the quizzes, they couldn't do them. They may have just been too young. I don't really know. It's worth looking at again, though. Thanks.

This is not what you asked for, but I think that your kids should read BOOKS. Skip all the fancy stuff, pick a topic, make a run to the library, and require them to read science for 30 minutes per day. Don't assess them at all, you don't even have to make them write up reports. Just make sure them books get progressively more difficult over the year and ask them to tell you what they learned over dinner. This would cost you nothing, would allow them to learn science, and enjoy it without pressure to perform.

Ruth in NZ

Science Fusion?

On sale at HSBC until the 31st :001_smile:

I think this looks great, except the price. :-( How much of it is actually online? All of it (with any luck)?

This is not what you asked for, but I think that your kids should read BOOKS. Skip all the fancy stuff, pick a topic, make a run to the library, and require them to read science for 30 minutes per day. Don't assess them at all, you don't even have to make them write up reports. Just make sure them books get progressively more difficult over the year and ask them to tell you what they learned over dinner. This would cost you nothing, would allow them to learn science, and enjoy it without pressure to perform.

Ruth in NZ

I've considered this, too. I actually have a whole box of the Horrible Science books, and a Scott Foresman textbook. I'm thinking about just having them read the textbook and the Horrible Science books and calling it good. I do like the idea of Science Fusion, though.

Supercharged Science! That and Exploration Education :)

Here's Cathy Duffy's review on Supercharged Science:

http://www.homeschoolreviews.com/reviews/curriculum/reviews.aspx?id=692

Impression on Exploration Education:

http://jimmiescollage.com/2011/03/the-convention-what-i-want/

Thanks! I'd forgotten about Exploration Education. I like the look of Supercharged Science, but it's ridiculously expensive. Bah!

Thanks! I'd forgotten about Exploration Education. I like the look of Supercharged Science, but it's ridiculously expensive. Bah!

I hear ya. But I figure I'd throw it out there. Hope you find your groove. Exploration Education is what I would use if I needed independent. I keep those programs in the back of my mind, but gosh, I cannot afford Supercharged either.