Menu

Kids with echolalia but not autism?

Hey,

Does anyone else around here have a child with echolalia? I know how to get language into dd but I'm getting to wonder if anyone has any tips on teaching maths. At this age (she's 5) maths is very language based for the most part and I've no idea how long it is going to take before I can see whether she is learning mathematical concepts from what we do. With the echolalia, it often seems as though information goes in her ears and out her mouth without touching the sides in her brain, iykwim? Dd is a video based learner so I've had her watching Rosie's c-rod vids and she loves them. But I'm not sure if she's learning maths, or just copying what she sees; whether it is going in through her eyes and out through her hands without making a mark on her brain.

Anyway, some conversation would be welcome. :)

Rosie

Rosie, was this the dc for whom you were pursuing speech therapy or was that your ds? I just remember us talking about that sometime back and how you had found a home visit therapist you were (at the time) hopeful about. Anyway, you might find this interesting. http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Autism-through-Prompting-Method/dp/1432729284/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346075433&sr=8-1&keywords=understanding+autism+through+rapid+prompting+method There's a website associated with the book and it has videos and stuff. Don't get turned off by the title. It was referred to me by a mom whose dc was 12 and non-verbal, and she used the techniques to teach him. Just gives you lots of alternate ways to connect, find an open pathway, and get responses. The book is a little pricey, but the videos and info on the website are free and might spark you.

Yep, it's the same kiddo. All she's been diagnosed with is echolalia though the therapist said we could get an Asperger's diagnosis if we wanted it even though she doesn't think dd has it. I read in the Einstein Syndrome book that Aspies are definitely not late talkers, but I've never seen that mentioned anywhere else.

Thanks for the recommendation. Dd is coming along, but we're not doing any formal speech therapy atm because I wasn't comfortable with the computer based work the therapist wanted to do. I decided to take six months to work informally, and we'll reevaluate at the end of the year. I've bookmarked the site to look at when I'm not so sleep deprived I feel sick.

No one else around here with echolalic kids? Is echolalic a word?

Rosie

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=300297 This is just one thread that popped up. Do a search of the boards for echolalia, and you're going to get a ton of posts. No, I would not consider speech therapy in front of a computer appropriate, mercy. Just as a suggestion though, you might want to pursue the eval on the spectrum part. It might open you up to new things to research. Or just go with it as a tentative explanation and start researching. When they're little you have this opportunity to work with them. There are a number of websites like Super Duper and Linguisystems that sell speech therapy materials directly to the public. You might find things there you would find useful just in your own interactions with her. The speech therapy my ds needs is very, very specific and hard to replicate without training, because it's for motor control. But it sounds like the types of things good for your situation are much easier to do at home. So I'd see what you can find to empower yourself, since it doesn't sound like help is forthcoming.