Menu

Help! Grammer for 11yr old

SunieDawn

I am in need of help and advice. We started school two weeks ago and I still have no grammer/english/language arts for my 11 yr old boy.

Last year we worked on BJU Press--English. It was okay.

I have searched, researched, googled, and oogled everything. This is our first full year homeschooling. I have no idea what cirriculum is best for this area. I need something to help him with grammer rules, parts of sentence, sentence structure, writing, letter writing, ect. Is this too much to ask for one book/cirriculum? Help! I'm new, green, and overwhelmed!

Thank you in advance for any suggestions!

We have used Shurley English. It does it all. Both dc's 14 and 12 were able to do it successfully. You might want to look at KISS also. I have never used it so am not sure how inclusive it is but it is free and well liked. Neither program has a literature component.

Rod and Staff English will cover all of the things you mentioned.

Blessings,

Pat

You may want to start a level down, at least, with R&S English, if you go that route, or even with R&S English 3 (Building a Strong Foundation)--that's where a lot of people start.

A supplement I'd recommend checking out from the library (or watching on Youtube) is Schoolhouse Rock: Grammar Rock. No, it doesn't cover everything, but it really does help teach those parts of speech!

It is more expensive (though there are used copies floating around the buy/sell boards at times) but Michael Clay Thompson's program is excellent. You can buy just grammar, or get grammar and vocab, grammar vocab and poetics, literature, whatever pieces you like. If he has not done much grammar before, I would start an 11YO at Town or Voyage level.

Have you looked into Christian Light Publications (otherwise known as CLE)? CLE Language Arts covers all of the hot topics you mentioned and comes in an easy workbook format. We use Rod and Staff but I've looked into CLE and believe it to be very thorough and nicely structured. If you are just beginning grammar instruction, I would definitely look at samples to see where your child would fit. It might not correspond to your child's actual "grade" level because of it's spiral methodology.