Menu

URGENT - Please help me decide what to do about math!!!!!

So dd12 started math through our Florida Virtual school this year. I had hoped this was going to be a good option for her. She used Systematic Mathematics last year and while she did ok it was a struggle. I work in the afternoons so only have from about 8-12 to school both her and dd9. I thought this would help free up our time since she has all the lessons online and a teacher to help her. Big Mistake!!! She has a D in the class right now. She just made 12 out of 20 on today's assignment. Now please understand that it is not because the work is too hard for her. She is not applying herself and trying. I did the first several lessons with her when she started school and showed her how to take notes and do the practice problems. She is not doing this! She sits watches the lesson and then when she submits the assignment she scores low because she really isn't learning it. The bigger problem is because I am not doing it with her if she doesn't understand it I cant help her and have to watch the lesson myself. This is sometimes an hour. At this rate I would just rather teach her myself so at least I can help her when she is having trouble. She spent over an hour on her lesson today, did not take notes, did not do the practice problems and then makes 12 out of 20. She at this point if I do pull her and just teach her myself I have no idea where to go. This is the same child who is happily doing Abeka 10th grade Biology this year and has dreams of going to med school. That means she needs higher math! I have no idea what to do! Ay advice, opinions, or suggestions would be great!!!

thowell, Sorry to hear about your situation. It might help us give suggestions knowing a little more about your dd12's math experience. Was there something she didn't like about Systematic Mathematics last year? What level of math is she taking currently? With getting such low scores you may want to emphasize more of a mastery approach in which she only moves on after scoring 90% or higher on the tests/quizzes. True undertanding is the goal vs. simply finishing something. Since she did just 'ok' last year it may be important to go back and fill in some gaps missed during that time. Once someone gets into Secondary Math things really build on previous concepts learned. That is why having a strong Algebra background is so important for all the other math and science to follow.

I think your idea of taking her out of the current program is the right direction since it clearly is not working for her at least at this time.

Edited by dereksurfs

You know Kinetic was my top choice over the summer. We chose to try FLVS since it is free. So here is the kicker, after I somewhat flipped out on her, she went back through the lesson in about 20 minutes took 2 pages of notes, did all the practice problems, and scored a perfect score on the assignment she submitted. I dont think it is that she doesn't understand the work. I think she is just be lazy. That is the same problem we had last year with Systematic Math. When she would really watch the lessons and take notes she did great! I thought having a teacher to be accountable to this year would help with this.

she went back through the lesson in about 20 minutes took 2 pages of notes, did all the practice problems, and scored a perfect score on the assignment she submitted. I dont think it is that she doesn't understand the work. I think she is just be lazy. That is the same problem we had last year with Systematic Math. When she would really watch the lessons and take notes she did great! I thought having a teacher to be accountable to this year would help with this.

In that case, it might not be a change in curriculum you need, but a change of schedule. I would require her to do math first thing in the morning while you are home and can enforce that she does indeed work. Then, for the afternoon when you are not available, you could assign her work that she is more likely to complete voluntarily, such as reading for English, or a documentary.

I think four hours of supervised time should be sufficient for her to do the bulk of the hard work in the core subjects - that's all I'd worry about right now. I'd just sit on her and make her use the math program diligently ;-)

Prior to last year we tried, LOF, Abeka, Math Mammoth, and I am sure there must be more. She doesnt like any of them. She liked LOF but she wasn't learning from it. She hated Abeka, and MM was okay. She is what I would call a very hands on, right brained child that just may be a touch of Asperger. She loves science and history. Detests writing, meaning the physical act of writing, and has a memory that seems to be out of this world. She has no organization in her life but is the most loving and sensitive girl you could ever meet.