Menu

Software for Writing/Language Art

redsnapper

I need to find software curriculum for Language Arts, or at least for Writing.

We've been working with my ds9 for years on his pencil holding, but he's still having trouble. The biggest thing he grips it HARD which fatigues his hand and makes the physical act of writing tough on him. I held him back with writing the last year or so while we tried to correct the holding, but I can wait no longer. He is mentally ready to be writing and I want to look at an online/software writing curriculum, where the lessons are all at the computer. He could then type out of his writing assignments and potentially jet forward with that skill. (*I will post separately about the pencil holding...)

In the meantime, we will continue to have him handwrite out in his various workbooks, etc. I also realize that when he has to do the writing exam our state requires this spring he will have to write, but I'm hoping that by zooming forward with his skill level by that time, that he will still do well.

OK, long story short. Anybody know of LA/Writing software curriculum?

Melissa

Do you think he could just use the regular books and key the answers using Word or another program?

My son doesn't do much handwriting, but I've not looked for a program that allows input directly yet for composition. I will keep my eyes open.

I am trying out this:

http://www.superduperinc.com/products/view.aspx?pid=FDCD600

We've not started using it yet. I can report back later. It was on sale when I purchased.

You might take a look at the Marketplace offerings at Learning.com also. Again, we are going to try some of the items listed here but haven't started up yet. Sorry I can't offer any actual reviews.

Other than full essay-type writing, what type of writing would he be doing?

I don't have a curriculum to recommend, but *in the meantime* you could try the writing component available for free on Spelling City. Many people forget that they are more than just spelling. They have grammar, writing, vocabulary, and spelling available. You can check it out by viewing a video here:

http://www.spellingcity.com/student-writing-practice.html

I didn't know spelling city added a writing piece. I'll have to check it out.

As for what writing he'll be doing, I don't really know. My hs strategy is, um, to do my best but I don't really know what I'm doing, :-).

Yes he needs paragraph work. But I really wanted something that does everything. In WWE4 they have copywork, dictation, narration, etc. Can I just do that on the computer rather than in our workbook?

FYI I did buy a mechanical pencil with a cushy grip to try. :-)

I'd recommend you listen to the podcast on the Bravewriter blog about Partnership writing. This is the stage he is in and it calls for quite a bit of the physical act of writing to be done by you. Meanwhile you can work on the handwriting in small amounts that he can handle as well as teach him to type.

Heather

Evan-Moor, Teacher Created Materials, and Creative Teaching Press all have ebooks that can be typed on. They call them different things, and they usually cost more. Evan-Moor has Daily 6 Trait Writing. CTP has Write from the Start. So he would be completing a workbook on the computer.

Merit Software has Starter Paragraph Punch and Book Punch. I LOVE these. They aren't as pricey as Time4Writing. (My son doesn't share the love...)

Jennifer