Menu

s/o: allergies . . . sudden allergy attacks

I just finished reading the seasonal allergy thread and have a related question. My ds12 suffers from allergies and is congested most of the time, but he also gets what we refer to as allergy attacks. Out of nowhere, he starts rapid, repeated sneezing, his face itches to the point that he is rubbing his nose like crazy with both hands, and the snot literally flows. This is followed up with coughing, and, with the most recent attack, he was wheezing and having trouble breathing. He said he feels "trapped in my own body".

We haven't been for allergy testing because he knows what's involved and refuses despite my best arguments. He's extremely needle and pain phobic; we have to sedate for most everything at the dentist.

We haven't been able to pin down any specific trigger or pattern. This happens indoors and out and at houses other than ours. Does this sound asthma related? I'm not sure how asthma presents. Thoughts?

Yes, and he needs to get allergy testing even if he doesn't want it since it sounds like he is having mild anaphalactic reactions. I would call his pediatrician and ask for an epi-pen prescription and asthma inhaler while you wait for an allergist appointment. Anaphalaxis is nothing to fool around with.

Yes, and he needs to get allergy testing even if he doesn't want it since it sounds like he is having mild anaphalactic reactions. I would call his pediatrician and ask for an epi-pen prescription and asthma inhaler while you wait for an allergist appointment. Anaphalaxis is nothing to fool around with.

:iagree:

I would insist upon testing. Our current allergist prescribed my dds Emla cream to use prior to the testing. It made the process easier, psychologically. They have been through scratch tests before though, starting as young as 2 or 3.