Menu

Singapore Discovering Mathematics question

I like the looks of Discovering Mathematics. I like that geometry is integrated into each year. What I don't like is the lack of constant review. Ds really needed more of that when he completed the Elementary Singapore Math series. He had forgotten some things he learned in previous levels when he got to upper levels. How do you solve the need for constant review in this program?

Beth

I like the looks of Discovering Mathematics. I like that geometry is integrated into each year. What I don't like is the lack of constant review. Ds really needed more of that when he completed the Elementary Singapore Math series. He had forgotten some things he learned in previous levels when he got to upper levels. How do you solve the need for constant review in this program?

If you use the DM workbook, they very cleverly integrate review by making the (much more difficult) problems in the workbook for the current section/concept have to be solved by also using concepts used in previous sections.

For example, in the section for finding area of a triangle, they'd do something like make the base (12x+4)/3 and the height x^2, so you'd have to use variables, factoring, rational expressions and exponents to solve the area question.

I had been using New Syllabus, which they have discontinued, and i'll probably switch to DM next (we finished year 2 and i want to review w LOF elementary algebra before moving on). but . . . that said . . in NS, we bought the workbook but only used it on chapters where he needed extra problems. Every chapter had review problems at the end, and every few chapters had maybe 4-5 pages of review problems. I actually didnt do them, though. I thought there was also a teachers CD with tests? again, it might be different between the programs.

the mixed-up order worked well for my son because he really hated algebra, so it was good to have it spread out, so he got a break sometimes. Of course, i'm sure he's forgotten all his geometry - sometimes I printed up 'cheat sheets' with formulas

We used the NEM series and I guess were blessed to not need more review than was in built into the problems themselves. I don't know if DM does this, but in NEM the geometry sections were always using algebra skills to solve the geometry problems. I really like that.