Menu

One explanation for grade inflation

I overheard a conversation between my son and his p.s. high school friend while we were driving home:

Friend: I am happy that I will have the same teacher for honors math as I had last year. Homework is not part of the grade, so I never do homework.

Son: Isn't it hard to do well on the test if you never do any homework?

Friend: Sometimes that is a problem, since if you don't do the homework, you can't retake the test.

Son: Your teacher lets you retake the test?:001_huh:

Friend: Yeh, it is the exact same test. We can retake it twice, and he only counts your highest grade. I ended up with 115% in the class.

Son: How do you end up with over 100%?

Friend: Every test has a lot of bonus questions, and he also gives us points for participating in class.

And to think that there are some colleges out there that require only the homeschooled applicants to take the SAT II's in order to validate the transcript grades. :glare:

When my girls switched from a private Christian school to public school all the tests became open book and sometimes they got to "look over" the test the day before - there were always extra credit options - some as easy as remembering to bring your book to class (really). Needless to say one year of public school was enough for us and the girls have been home since!

When I did my student teaching, school policy was that students couldn't get a grade lower than a 50. I've seen that as district policy now in some districts here. :glare:

I've also seen students who have just graduated from high school (need three math credits...lowest is algebra 1) test into our cc prealgebra classes.

When I was in school, looking at your notes during a test was called cheating, not standard operating procedure. :glare:

It is a shame because at the end of the day, it's the kids who are being cheated. No wonder many struggle with college level work upon high school graduation.

My son took AP Physics B at our high school a couple years ago. The teacher has a reputation for being the hardest teacher in the school. He told the parents at the parent orientation that he runs his class like a college class. Homework is not required, but if the student doesn't do the homework, he won't do well on the test. He also gives no extra credit or test redo's. I don't think it is a coincidence that his class is the only class in the entire school where all of the students year after year score a 3 or higher on the AP exam.

This teacher's class was my son's only exposure to our pubic school, and I am sure that he just assumed every other teacher in the school had the same grading policy. His friend is still at our house, so I haven't had a chance to mention what I overheard. I could tell by my son's reaction that he was very surprised at what he was told.

My Geometry teacher only had us hand in our work at the end of each chapter. Each day, he would do all of the previous day's assigned problems on the board, step-by-step. Since we only turned in our notebooks at the end of the chapter, most of the class just copied the work straight from the board, instead of doing the work themselves. When we handed in our notebooks, he looked them over & gave them back before the test. All tests, including the midterm & final were open book & open notes.

My niece had a word search on vampires as extra credit in Algebra. I never saw the logic of that one. Several teachers allowed us extra credit, but it was all additional work related to the subject.