Menu

X-Post: ES Logic Biology: Pros/Cons...Trying to decide if I should order this

I'm not happy (so far) with using Edge Creek task cards for 4th grade life science, and I'm regretting not purchasing Elemental Science Logic Stage Biology for ds.

Ds is my last child, and because he has been around 2 older siblings and has been exposed to a lot of life science, I think he could handle ES Logic Biology. He LOVES experiments. ES is very well organized....something I crave. We would know EXACTLY what to do each day.

Ds would not be ready for all the report writing, and I wouldn't make him write down the definitions to all the vocabulary words. I would simply tailor the lessons to his abilities.

I've already spent quite a bit on books to go with Edge Creek, but I don't think those would be wasted exactly. I could schedule them in with ES.

I have asked about this before, so please forgive me for asking again, but ES *looks* like a fantastic fit for us. I'm regretting not going with this from the beginning.

PLEASE share any pros/cons/concerns that would help me decide if using ES Logic Biology with a science-loving 4th grader would be a bad idea. I'm leaning towards ordering the download since it would cost the least money.

It does have info for adjusting for younger learners, so it's probably doable. But, even the grammar stage programs have writing, etc. Could he do one of the last grammar stage programs and save this for next year?

I've looked at the grammar stage level, and I really think this is too young for him. Since he has participated in his sister's past life science (BJU 7th grade) and used the CPO Life Science book with his brother the same year to draw and label diagrams, I think he has been exposed to enough basic facts to be able to handle ES Logic.

We also talk a lot about the science in our own backyard so to speak. He is not unfamiliar with life science topics.

Don't look at me for cons since I'm planning on using it this year for my 4th grader. We used the Logic Earth Science last year, and everyone had a great year. Ds had no trouble keeping up with the readings, sketches, or experiments. He didn't write a report, but I did have him write a paragraph about what he learned. We skipped the vocabulary. I also didn't insist on a science lab report from him. ;) Both ds and dd are looking forward to biology this year. :001_smile:

Don't look at me for cons since I'm planning on using it this year for my 4th grader. We used the Logic Earth Science last year, and everyone had a great year. Ds had no trouble keeping up with the readings, sketches, or experiments. He didn't write a report, but I did have him write a paragraph about what he learned. We skipped the vocabulary. I also didn't insist on a science lab report from him. ;) Both ds and dd are looking forward to biology this year. :001_smile:

WONDERFUL!!! Thank you for sharing this! Do you have an idea if using the download is a problem to use? I would prefer using the book, but I don't want to spend the money.

Can't help you with a been-there, done-that. I'm planning on using ES Biology this year with my oldest. (DD#2 & #3 will do ES's Lapbooking through Biology.)

I'm definitely tweaking it (adding/subtracting/modifying). It isn't hard to tweak. I'm not going to have her outline or summarize anything since she's doing several other writing-heavy programs. She will have to look up the definitions & answer the discussion questions.

I think the download would be a good idea. I wish Paige (ES author) would have the sketches & lab reports as a separate download. IMO, the TM (either download or physical book) + those are sufficient. A lot of the TM & student guide are redundant.

BTW, the "schedule" is in the TM. (I wish it was in the student book.)

Make sure you plan out when you are doing each unit if you live in a cold climate. I am rearranging the units because of some of the experiments not working in winter (plants, worms, & a bug one for outside) for us.

From what I've seen, it is doable with a 4th grader who is science-happy. (Mine isn't!)

WONDERFUL!!! Thank you for sharing this! Do you have an idea if using the download is a problem to use? I would prefer using the book, but I don't want to spend the money.

I used the download and thought it was easier to use than a book. My older sons will be using Apologia Biology, so I rearranged both syllabi so the kids could all be on similar topics. We're beginning the year with invertabrates. It was handy being able to jump straight to printing unit 3 and mix up the week order as needed in order to keep everyone on the same topic.

I'm planning on using this year with my ds11 and dd9.

As far as writing, ds will have to do lab reports of some sort, dd can draw and label pictures (she's a late reader/writer), or maybe we'll do a Main Lesson Book (Waldorf) for what we learn! I think we will discuss the vocab words instead of writing down definitions, and the same with the discussion questions.

I bought all pdf files for this, and plan on printing out the student pages a unit at a time. I like the pdf because I can print out two of each sketch page, etc., as needed.

I just ordered a bunch of stuff from Home Science Tools - slides, a new microscope, dissection supplies... we're really excited about this! I need a program this year that is thorough, and set up for me, since flying by the seat of my pants isn't working out too well ;)

We're using Biology for the Logic Stage this year with my ds 11, though I do plan on reducing the writing a bit since he's doing a lot of writing in other programs. I also bought the materials kit because I didn't want the hassle of trying to find all the bits and pieces on my own; most are common items, but some are a bit more obscure and I felt the timesaving and convenience outweighed the cost. I do wish I'd gotten the PDF version instead of the print copy though.

I think a 4th grader who loves science would be fine with ES, as long as you adjust the writing assignments a bit. I would have used it with my ds at that age too.