Menu

While I don't use structured curriculum to teach writing, I do instruct my kids. And, no, most of my kids have not been natural writers. One of my kids was actually an incredibly weak writer that struggled even w/the most basic concepts such as correct sequencing. Her writing only improved with a lot of instruction.

It also depends on what criteria is being used to assess writing as to what is classifed as "good.". For example, while I consider dd to now be a solidly avg, slightly above avg writer, at the community college her papers almost always received a perfect or near perfect score while last yr she attended a private liberal arts college that prided itself on the strength of its literature and philosophy courses and she pretty much received consistent Bs on her essays.

I do focus on academic writing w/my kids. I have that enjoy fiction writing and they write in their free time. One is in the middle of writing a novel. (blog posts would never even cross my mind as an assignment. ;) )

Thanks, 8fill. In the past, you have written about how you teach writing, and I remember that you do teach specific skills. Perhaps other mothers who do not use structured curriculum will provide information about how they teach the various types of writing mentioned in this thread.

Edited by 1Togo

I think for many people, writing is scary because it seems like something separate from everyday life, ...

The other thing that makes teaching writing scary/difficult is that in most curricula, students are asked to write so much, all the time, without what I think must precede any good piece of writing: ...

And then there are many of us (and our students) who simply need some structured (as opposed to formulaic) handholding in *how* to think and discuss our way through a poem/etc., in order to either write about the material or to teach our students how.

I'm fairly certain that all my guys would prefer having a root canal to discussing writing.;)

:lol::lol: I hear you!

BTW, Colleen,I read your other thread about 7th grade writing/WWS. I have to just confirm what you discerned from SaDonna's post - WWS *does* begin to make more sense the further you go - you'll see how the puzzle pieces start to fit together, to give your student some solid tools for thinking about his own writing projects and how to put them together.

:lol::lol: I hear you!

BTW, Colleen,I read your other thread about 7th grade writing/WWS. I have to just confirm what you discerned from SaDonna's post - WWS *does* begin to make more sense the further you go - you'll see how the puzzle pieces start to fit together, to give your student some solid tools for thinking about his own writing projects and how to put them together.

Thanks for the input ~ from one Colleen to another.:D

It's nice to see you popping in again every so often, Colleen! (just typing that, because I like to type my name, ha! esp. when it's spelled correctly :D)

Yep! But are we both the "right" pronounciation, that's the key. There's a Colleen on the SL board who, coincidentally, is also married to a dairy farmer. But she's a long "o" so on that we part ways.;)

Yep! But are we both the "right" pronounciation, that's the key. There's a Colleen on the SL board who, coincidentally, is also married to a dairy farmer. But she's a long "o" so on that we part ways.;)

Yes, short sound of "o". I always thought "Coleen" was the only way you'd use the long sound of "o".

We're good. :D