Menu

Is there a site/form/method to determine math placement?

cloversandlions

I don't necessarily mean with a particular curriculum, but generally speaking? Unfortunately, I'm tried several curricula over the last few years, and I suspect there are some gaps in math knowledge for my older two children. I'd like to find a way to assess their knowledge and begin a program of filling gaps. I don't know if I should find a curriculum and just stick with it, or try to make a proper go of it with Math on the Level, which is both appealing and daunting to me...

The only thing I could think of is Khan academy. When you register them with their own accounts and you as teacher they can do some sort of mapping. They receive qustions on a subject to complete (5, I think) and if proficient automatically moved on to th next topic. This continues through the topic offered, watching the teaching portions when needed.

Well, there is no across the board placement test for math in a homeschool setting because, as you know, math curricula varies WILDLY in scope/sequence. Some 6th grade programs are equivalent to prealgebra in what they cover, while others are only touching on dividing fractions midway through 6th; so a test that says your child should be in "6th grade math" isn't doing you any good. Lol.

If you mean a test that determines your child weak areas... Aleks is great for that, from what I hear. Make an account and it will first test and then work on problem areas.

I would use Aleks to address weak areas but, overall, I would simply stick a math curriculum and stick with it - breaking as necessary when you hit a rough patch to work with Aleks for a while.

also, prealgebra is the big review before kids move in to higher math. whatever program you choose next, if you come across something your kids dont get because they are missing something, you will recognize that and you can find a way to cover that. if it never shows up, it'll show up in pre-algebra. as long as they are learning the basics well, they shouldnt have too much trouble with little things they missed. I mean, they arent going to miss addition/subtraction/mult/division, order of operations, fractions, decimals, ratios, percents . . . the big stuff. So much of the other things seem like busy work to me . . . not really important once you get to higher math.