Menu

Day Planners for 5th Grader

napualani

I was looking over SWB's web page on teaching students to work independently (http://www.welltrainedmind.com/teaching-students-to-work-independently/) and I like the idea of having 5th graders keep their own appointments in a day planner. I'm curious to know what planners your kids like. Do they use ones with a daily/weekly format? I think we'll stop by Barnes and Noble and see what they've got. They have some pretty ones there.

Thanks!

Darlene

Rod and Staff (through Milestone Ministries) has really cheap planners that have worked for my three oldest kids. They're nothing fancy, just the typical two page spread for each school week. I think they're under $4. If you want pretty you'd probably like the Well Planned Day planners, but it'll cost a lot more.

I just took dd to Barnes and Noble and let her choose a planner she likes. We chose a weekly schedule format, and I'll work with her to start writing in all her activities, field trips, etc. Hopefully I'll become disciplined enough to help her keep it up and make schedule planning a habit. It took me years to find a system that worked for me -- I do best with a digital calendar. In addition to it being a weekly format, my dd likes that it has sections to add in her friends' contact information and frequently used websites. I hope this works!

Darlene

I don't HS, but DD is moving to a new school this year and is going into the 5th grade. Last year her school provided her with a planner, this year we pick our own. We went to Target today and bought a PlanAhead brand planner

http://www.planaheadnow.com/index.php/products/bts-btc/basic-academic-planners

It was like $7 - it's a daily planner for her to write down her assignments.

Ultimate Student Planner {CBD carries it & I think Rainbow Resource}

Ultimate Teen Planner {same as above}

My 5th grader is using the first one I mentioned, but I wish I had bought him the second one. I'll be getting him the teen one for next year & the 4th grader the other one. :D

I just listened to this lecture! I made my 5th grader a daily schedule sheet sized 8.5x11. One top corner has a list of her daily schoolwork already written in so she can mark off what is complete. The other top corner has a planner for her to write in her activities for the day. One bottom corner has a list for her to write in her daily independent assignments/chores/whatever. The other bottom corner is for doodling and whatever she wants. She has used it and liked it so far. The doodling corner definitely gets attention. :001_smile:

I think we are really going to like this format. We've tried spiral bound student planners, but for whatever reason, they don't work for us. We prefer (both of us) to use sheets of paper for our daily to-dos.