Menu

CLE vs Lifepac - 8th grade math

Does anyone here have experience or knowledge of both CLE and Lifepac 8th grade math? Which do you prefer?

My son was in public school up until now, but we have decided to home school him. I need a curriculum that basically tells me exactly what to do. I will be using Lifepac for history, science, and language arts. The person I'm getting them from does not have math so I have to purchase a separate math, and I've narrowed it down to CLE or the matching Lifepac. I'm not sure what, if any, the differences are. The price is pretty much exactly the same for both of them, so that isn't a deciding factor for me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Hi Kara,

Welcome to the boards. We use CLE Math for the Primary grades (1st-6th) with our younger children and are very happy with the quality of the program. It is good for mostly independant learning. It seems to be regarded as a very solid program which is 'spiral' based vs. a 'mastery' approach. However we did use Math-U-See before which is mastery based. We switched because our younger children weren't retaining as much. We also found that they like CLE more.

Lifepac is Alpha Omega which I am not as familiar with nor does it come up as much. Here is one review I found with different parents' experiences: http://www.homeschoolmath.net/curriculum_reviews/alpha_omega.php

When speaking of Math most consider it separately even for those who use all inclusive programs such as Sonlight/Alpha Omega. The reason for this is that evey child is different and while one may thrive with CLE or Lifepac another may do much better with Singapore, Math Mammoth, Math-U-See, Saxon, AoPS, etc... In addition children are at different levels developmentally for their age. While some are ready to start Algebra in the 6th grade others may wait until 9th or 10th. Consequently most parents tend to focus on the next level such as learning Algebra or Pre-Algebra this year. Then they explore the various options which include things like level of rigor, style of instruction (more parent directed vs. independant), computer based, video lectures or not, spiral vs. mastery approach, etc... Children typically respond better to one approach over another. Otherwise it can be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole which becomes frustrating for all parties involved. That being the case you may want to show him a few programs and see how he likes them. Most Math programs have free trials and samples for this very reason.

If your son follows most public schools he is probably going to be in Pre-Algebra or Algebra for his 8th grade year. That is really where I would start. Actually I am researching that for my son this year as well. We are already using Math-U-See (MUS) Pre-Algebra. However I'm looking for something a little more challenging for him because I think he is ready for it. So we are looking into these programs which come highly recommended: Kinetic Books, Derek Owens, TabletClass. Of course there are many more options. But in doing the research these seem like a good fit for our ds11.

I hope this helps some.

Edited by dereksurfs

Hi Kara,

Welcome to the boards. We use CLE Math for the Primary grades (1st-6th) with our younger children and are very happy with the quality of the program. It is good for mostly independant learning. It seems to be regarded as a very solid program which is 'spiral' based vs. a 'mastery' approach. However we did use Math-U-See before which is mastery based. We switched because our younger children weren't retaining as much. We also found that they like CLE more.

Lifepac is Alpha Omega which I am not as familiar with nor does it come up as much. Here is one review I found with different parents' experiences: http://www.homeschoolmath.net/curriculum_reviews/alpha_omega.php

When speaking of Math most consider it separately even for those who use all inclusive programs such as Sonlight/Alpha Omega. The reason for this is that evey child is different and while one may thrive with CLE or Lifepac another may do much better with Singapore, Math Mammoth, Math-U-See, Saxon, AoPS, etc... In addition children are at different levels developmentally for their age. While some are ready to start Algebra in the 6th grade others may wait until 9th or 10th. Consequently most parents tend to focus on the next level such as learning Algebra or Pre-Algebra this year. Then they explore the various options which include things like level of rigor, style of instruction (more parent directed vs. independant), computer based, video lectures or not, spiral vs. mastery approach, etc... Children typically respond better to one approach over another. Otherwise it can be like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole which becomes frustrating for all parties involved. That being the case you may want to show him a few programs and see how he likes them. Most Math programs have free trials and samples for this very reason.

If your son follows most public schools he is probably going to be in Pre-Algebra or Algebra for his 8th grade year. That is really where I would start. Actually I am researching that for my son this year as well. We are already using Math-U-See (MUS) Pre-Algebra. However I'm looking for something a little more challenging for him because I think he is ready for it. So we are looking into these programs which come highly recommended: Kinetic Books, Derek Owens, TabletClass. Of course there are many more options. But in doing the research these seem like a good fit for our ds11.

I hope this helps some.

It did, thanks! Thank you for the link, it was very helpful. :) To the bolded - he started learning Algebra in 6th grade in the school he went to for PK-6th. The school he was in last year was not that far, and that is a big reason why we are home schooling him now. Rather than help him succeed and build on the skills he already has, they held him back with the rest of the class. I'm currently having him take the placement test for CLE, so we'll see where he needs to be. I would prefer a more independent study program b/c I am TERRIBLE at math, so I wouldn't be much help to him anyway. LOL

Probably pre-algebra, b/c he is taking the diagnostic test and there is some that he has forgotten. The school he was in last year wasn't doing it yet, so some of it didn't retain in his memory.

ETA - After doing the diagnostic, I think he would be best suited in the 7th grade level CLE math. It seems like a really good program, though, so I think that is what we will go with. Thanks!

Edited by somo_chickenlady

It did, thanks! Thank you for the link, it was very helpful. :) To the bolded - he started learning Algebra in 6th grade in the school he went to for PK-6th. The school he was in last year was not that far, and that is a big reason why we are home schooling him now. Rather than help him succeed and build on the skills he already has, they held him back with the rest of the class. I'm currently having him take the placement test for CLE, so we'll see where he needs to be. I would prefer a more independent study program b/c I am TERRIBLE at math, so I wouldn't be much help to him anyway. LOL

Yes, we are in the same boat. While I was strong in math it was not my wife's best subject. And she homeschools during the day while I am at work. So she wants something that provides as much instruction and independent learning as possible. I think CLE is a good fit in this way. The others which I mentioned are also better for more independent learning. For CLE Math in Junior High you have Math 700 & 800 which are both Pre-Algebra with additional areas included such as personal finances, balancing a checkbook, etc...

Most families I know who use CLE jump off at this point - Junior High. Once at the High School level CLE completely changes and is no longer considered as strong of a program. Basically beyond CLE 800 it becomes Alpha Omega Lifepac which isn't reviewed as well especially for Secondary Math. Whereas 800 and below is Sunrise Math created by a different group entirely. The main reason I bring this up is that I think you are considering a program which you might follow through the HS years. Just be forewarned that they are not the same beyond this point.

The one caveat to this is that CLE has been working on a 'Sunrise' version of Algebra. You can read more about it in a thread I posted here: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=344661

Honestly there are so many other very good Algebra programs already available which are more of a known commodity I will use those with my oldest son. But once my girls are ready for Algebra I may take another look at CLE. However at this level of secondary math I am also liking the idea of having more instruction. That is why I am leaning toward the others. Derek Owens is a good option for Pre-Algebra and beyond if you haven't seen his classes yet. You can check them out here including the video lectures: http://www.lucideducation.com/?p=Prealgebra.php Every parent who has used his courses has said very positive things about them.

Edited by dereksurfs

That's a good point, and something I just discovered about CLE today. *pout* At this point, though, I just want a good, solid math program that will help catch him up to where he should have been to begin with. I think CLE will be good for that. After this year we have to start focusing on college prep, and we will probably look into other math programs at that point. We are kind of jumping into this feet first, b/c we just decided a little over a week ago that we were going to home school. The Lifepacs and CLE will help get us in the door and get used to home schooling. KWIM?

My husband is in the process of trying to find a new job in a different state, and he had one set up in Alabama and we were supposed to move right at the start of school, but it fell through. That is the reason we made a sudden decision to home school. I just couldn't put him back in that school for another year.

That's a good point, and something I just discovered about CLE today. *pout* At this point, though, I just want a good, solid math program that will help catch him up to where he should have been to begin with. I think CLE will be good for that. After this year we have to start focusing on college prep, and we will probably look into other math programs at that point. We are kind of jumping into this feet first, b/c we just decided a little over a week ago that we were going to home school. The Lifepacs and CLE will help get us in the door and get used to home schooling. KWIM?

My husband is in the process of trying to find a new job in a different state, and he had one set up in Alabama and we were supposed to move right at the start of school, but it fell through. That is the reason we made a sudden decision to home school. I just couldn't put him back in that school for another year.

This sounds good Kara. I think CLE will be a fine place for your son this year. :) Congrats on getting up the courage to homeschooling with him, especially on such short notice! BTW, this board is a great resource with wonderful people who have helped me out. Hopefully you will find that as well. Another helpful thing is to find a local support group if you have one in your area.

All the best to you and your family this school year!

Once at the High School level CLE completely changes and is no longer considered as strong of a program. Basically beyond CLE 800 it becomes Alpha Omega Lifepac which isn't reviewed as well especially for Secondary Math. Whereas 800 and below is Sunrise Math created by a different group entirely. [/url]

This is no longer true. CLE now has the NEW Sunrise Algebra 1; see the 2012-2013 CLE catalog for details.

This is no longer true. CLE now has the NEW Sunrise Algebra 1; see the 2012-2013 CLE catalog for details.

Yes, Michelle. I actually mentioned that above and created a separate thread on the topic of the new Sunrise Algebra 1 here: http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/showthread.php?t=344661

However it is still very new. You can see GVA's comments on CLE's new Algebra 1 after stopping by their wharehouse recently to look it in that thread.