Menu

How long do you expect your oven to last?

I purchased a brand new Maytag Gemini oven in June of 2003. Before that, our previous house had an old green oven in it when we bought the house in 1993. It was still working great when we sold the house in 2002 and we did not EVER have a service call. Shoot! I don't even know if we replaced the light bulb in the oven!

Anyway...this new oven has already had two elements replaced. The computer circuit board had to be replaced while still under warranty. Also the drip pans are coated with enamel or porcelain and I have replaced them THREE times because when something boils over and burns and you have to scrub them, that coating comes off! (My old oven had those old stainless steel bowls and they were WONDERFUL! Just take a brillo pad to them and they shine!)

Now I'm wondering how long this stove is actually going to live. I'm realizing that I likely have UNrealistic expectations.

What about you? How long is a REASONABLE time to expect appliances to last now??

My stove was purchased in December of 2006 and is still working just fine. We did replace one of the burners a few months ago, but that burner gets used heavily (2-3 times a day). Everything else seems fine. I would easily expect it to last four more years or maybe more.

The appliances I bought in 2000 lasted 6 years without any service calls (and maybe longer, but we left most of them with the house we sold in 2006). The chest freezer I bought in 2000 is still working very well.

However, while my 2006 stove is fine, I had to have the elements replaced in my 2006 fridge and some parts in my 2006 dryer already -- within the first three years of owning them. The repairmen said they really don't make things last very long anymore, because people want to upgrade frequently to the newest products.

I've noticed new appliances have a disgustingly short shelf life. Our dishwasher? Problems after 2 years. Our last oven? Didn't make it past 8. From talking to the repair guys they say 5-10 years is the new expected life span. The more pretty digital screen parts the more problems too. It's not fun, is it?