Menu

TMI: Severe itching at end of cycle...

My dd is allergic to every disposable pad out there. They all cause extreme itching and burning. So she uses cloth pads, but even with those at the end of every cycle she experiences severe itching. It's not a yeast infection, and it happens every single month the last two days of her period.

After trying a variety of home remedies (baking soda is the only one that helped and it still wasn't very effective), I'm taking her in to the GYN. In the meantime, does the hive have any insight or ideas? Google is letting me down.

Change the pads more often? What are you washing them with?

I use cloth pads and I get itchy if I don't change them regularly enough. After using cloth diapers, I know that detergent can make a big difference in how things, for lack of a better word, wear. There may be residue from the detergent you're using that is causing her skin to itch.

TMI question. Feel free to not answer.

Where is the itching? upper thigh skin, hair area, inner folds, internal, front or back?

Have you had her tested for allergies to see what she is reacting to?

Have you tried different materials for the pads?

Has she tried a Diva cup to avoid the external moisture all together?

Has she tried drying the area with a hair dryer after washing to decrease moisture in the area?

What do you use for tissue? Could she be wiping herself and making the skin more raw over the course of her cycle? Have you tried using damp washcloths to clean the skin instead of dry paper?

Does she have any specific food cravings during her cycle? A food allergy can manifest as skin irritation.

Detergent on the pads? Maybe try to use a second vinegar rinse to get rid of any soap residue.

Edited by Tap, tap, tap

I assume she's also wearing cotton panties? Towards the end of my period, when its light, i often just go to the bathroom every hour and wipe, and (usually) dont get any stains. But my periods have always been pretty light. i havent had to go to cloth, the disposables are ok for me but i'm definitely itchy by the end.

also, i stopped using soap down there - it only irritates the skin. I just rinse with lots of water.

i also agree about changing the pads more often. and dry very carefully every time you go to the bathroom, to get all the bits dry.