Menu

life of fred- where to start at grade 2

mom2Hh

The LoF website says to always start with Apples if you're below grade 4. But.... there are so many books and I do not find it inexpensive as it would be a supplement for us. I'm confused because though it says to start with Apples, elementary sets 2 and 3 say they can be used with 2nd -4th grade. DS is starting right start level c soon and is "math-brained". So I'm wondering if it's a supplement should we start with some other book? I don't want him to be semi-bored at $16 a book.

I bought the whole set for the sake of the story....I am going to have my kids read them during some free reading time (within reason...not having my 8th grader read Apples, but I do want him to pick up on some things that he has obviously missed. I was reading Dogs and Edgewood the other day and asking both boys random questions...for example, "What is a cardinal number?" and they could not tell me. I think they will get a lot out of just a read-through.

*it should be said that this is my first year homeschooling, so keep that in mind when taking my advice...LOL!*

My 4th grader did the whole elementary series, starting with Apples, last year. It was anything but boring. Even though it looks like you are going to spend the book doing the 7 fact families, there is *way* more to it than that. You get introduced to basic algebraic notation, set theory, and conceptual mathematical thinking well beyond anything most 1st and 2nd graders have been exposed to.

Having said that, I would definitely suggest buying *one* book to begin with; not all kids (or parents) click with LOF and it would probably be best to find that out before investing in the whole elementary series.

If you buy from the publisher, the shipping is free and they will allow you to return the book if you don't like it.

If you decide to sell after using, they hold their value quite well.

I hope you guys enjoy LOF as much as we do!

We love LOF. We started out with one book, Apples, in 2nd - because we wanted to start at the beginning. We've since ordered many more. :)

It's simple. It's fun. And we learn something every time. It's a nice breath of fresh air on our Fridays! (We do LOF Fridays here.)