Menu

MFW: to add World history to US 2

Hello,

I orginally was using TOG. Now I am starting to use MFW due to my full time job. It is giving me a very good skeleton to work with however I just realized this doesn't include world history post civil war to modern times.

I will be using WTM suggestions for modern time study. Paul Johnson book, Tyndale book and the Asia one that is listed in her book.

My question is: What is the best way to incorporte these materials to MFW us2 grid? I know the US history part ends at week 18. We will not be doing speech portion as we already got credit for that through dual college enrollement. I am considering just using these materials from week 19 to 34. Or should I try to add it in after each week to bump each week up and make it a one year instead of 18 weeks?

Holly

thinking points...

World History was done as "world" in WHL.. so that's why it's missing in US2. I guess it's not "classical" approach that way like it was in the MFW younger cycles.

so if you haven't done that world history... would it work better to do it alongside US history in that frame and extend for a year? or do it in 2nd semester...

I would probably lean toward 2nd semester with the way my brain works. and the ability to hand it over to my daughter with the least amount of work from me to make a new schedule for all year.

curious

are you doing the Econ semester in US2 as well?

-crystal

Yes I am doing Econ in 2nd semester. We are doing Gov't the first semester using WTM recs.

If we were going through TOG here is what we would have on his transcript:

World History __________

US History _____________ Together these are 2 credits. Indiana law states one year class is 2 credits. 1 semester is 1 credit.

Then the Econ/gov't combo would look like this:

Gov't 1 credit

Econ 1 credit

Holly

1 semester is 1 credit.

Really? I know that's true in many places if one is taking comm. college classes during high school. But high school work in high school? I'd not heard of that.... unless the student is completing at least 120 hours of work during 1 semester's time. Now that I could see.

Just trying to understand. Has your high schooler done world history at all yet? If so, I'm thinking he doesn't need more of it added to American history. Maybe we can understand better if we know what he's done thus far....

Yes it is 1 semester =1 credit, 2 semesters is 2 credits. Indiana follow the core 40 system. It wasn't this way 6 years ago.

I know the dual enrollment setup but that is not what this is for Indiana credit law.

Ok background:

Tapestry of Grace follows very closely to what WTM does for the history rotations. We did TOG yr 3 last year which has both World History and US history up to 1850 (post Civil War US). That is where it stopped for Yr 3.

He needs the rest of world history to tie into US 2. He wants this but do wished we could have stayed with TOG (he hated reading from several resources so he really wanted just one spine to read from which made MFW attractive until I realized the world history is not included because they did it in sophmore.) This is our first year using MFW. So this is where things got a bit screwy in my planning due to the US2 conflict.

Hope this makes sense.

Holly

Really? I know that's true in many places if one is taking comm. college classes during high school. But high school work in high school? I'd not heard of that.... unless the student is completing at least 120 hours of work during 1 semester's time. Now that I could see.

Just trying to understand.

Donna,

tagging onto Holly's answer since I once upon a time lived in Indiana and had to learn about this stuff...

In Indiana, yes, really the "high school credit" are a semester and that is just the way it is. :) As far as I've seen, it's the only state like that. It's just the definition. So, students will graduate with something called "Core 40" referring to the 40 core credits. nothing at all to do with dual enrollment.

here

http://www.doe.in.gov/sites/default/files/curriculum/11-revised-core-40-and-honors-rule-summary-12-7-11.pdf

so... each of MFW's "year credits" equals 2 semesters. and the half credits are 1.

It really is that way in Indiana. Homeschoolers often elect to call it the same thing to make it easy for Indiana colleges to see it all, although of course, they are use to out of state being different. Just makes it same playing field.

-crystal