Menu

xpost: Saxon 1/2 or AoPS pre-algebra

My youngest dd will be in 8th next year and needs another pre-algebra. She struggled too much toward the end of Saxon 87 for me to feel comfortable putting her in Algebra 1. I planned on saxon 1/2 until I heard about AoPS.

I'm not thrilled with Saxon high school. So, which one? AoPS or Saxon 1/2? Which is easier for me to teach?

AoPS, the later volumes, are written TO the student and do not require a teacher. I have not seen the prealgebra book; .

The AoPS pre-algebra book follows the same format as the later volumes - it is also written to the student and does not require a teacher. That being said, I would only use AoPS with a mathy kid who enjoyed math. The AoPS books (including the pre-algebra book) go into much more depth than the vast majority of other math programs.

My youngest dd will be in 8th next year and needs another pre-algebra. She struggled too much toward the end of Saxon 87 for me to feel comfortable putting her in Algebra 1. I planned on saxon 1/2 until I heard about AoPS.

I'm not thrilled with Saxon high school. So, which one? AoPS or Saxon 1/2? Which is easier for me to teach?

The last 30 lessons or so in Saxon 8/7 are challenging as they pack in a lot of new material. I don't think they do a thorough job of explaining slope intercept, but thankfully, that is much more thoroughly worked in Algebra 1. I can't compare AoPS and Saxon as we've only used Saxon, but I don't think I'd base readiness to move forward on how easy the student found the end of 8/7. We went directly to Algebra 1, but we always had the option to set it aside and add in Algebra 1/2 if it was needed.

The last 30 lessons or so in Saxon 8/7 are challenging as they pack in a lot of new material. I don't think they do a thorough job of explaining slope intercept' date=' but thankfully, that is much more thoroughly worked in Algebra 1. I can't compare AoPS and Saxon as we've only used Saxon, but I don't think I'd base readiness to move forward on how easy the student found the end of 8/7. We went directly to Algebra 1, but we always had the option to set it aside and add in Algebra 1/2 if it was needed.[/quote']

My original plan is to "test out" of Saxon 1/2 as far as she can go and keep 80% to 90%. As the material gets more difficult, we will stop and do the lessons as needed. It is quite possible, she will start Algebra 1 around the semester break. I'm trying to avoid some problems my oldest is having now at the end of Algebra 2. It would be wonderful if those last 20 or so lessons in Algebra 2 is more thorougly worked in Adv Math!

My son was not mathy and struggled with Saxon Alg 1/2 after TT (olders son used Saxon Alg 1/2 and Alg 1 and the AoPS Geometry&the rest of AoPS Alg). I purchased AoPS prealgebra for review for younger since asaxon wasnt going well. He also used Khan Academy frequently. This was a great preparation for AoPS Intro Alg.

The website has videos for prealgebra and much of Alg.

The prealgebra book helped cement the basic skills DS needs for Alg. The text helps kids understand the why behind the rules. Also, if provides kids with the info needed to reason through the rules themselves. Both my kids developed deeper appreciation for math with the AoPS books.