Menu

Need history for 5th and 8th suggestion

mamakelly

We've been all over the place with our study of history. We've done multiple curriculums (songliht, SOTW etc..) and at least touched on all time periods over the past many years. I'd really like to combine my 5th and 8th graders this year as it's probably their last year studying the same thing.

I need a suggestion for something not heavily literature based, that isn't too teacher intensive. Thoughts :confused:

Well, we have always followed the WTM. So my only suggestion would be to pick the time period in which you want them both, and read the WTM logic section to get them started on the logic stage studies. There isn't a particular curric for that. Just the Kingfisher Encyclopedia, mapwork, timelining and the library. It should be simple enough to do once you establish a routine. If you don't want to do all of the extra reading, have them do the outlining from the KHE as suggested in the 2nd edition WTM.

Specifically world? or US? I"m a big fan of Joy Hakim's History of US . . i'm reading it out loud to my two boys and both are getting something out of it. I'm not doing any assignments though (the older one is also reading Zinn and has to write an essay after each chapter of Zinn)