Menu

nonfiction audio books? (like animals / science / etc.)

any ideas?

The following from our Audible.com library, and are listed in no particular order

For science in general:

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Get the unabridged version. It is wonderful and I have listened to it over and over

Death by Black Hole by Neil deGrasse Tyson A series of articles he wrote for the American Museum of Natural History magazine, mostly on astrophysics

The Pluto Files also by Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean -- chemistry

Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

any physics books by Michio Kaku

Animals:

All the James Herriot books -- not exactly pure non-fiction but wonderful

Animals Make us Human by Temple Grandin

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson

My Family and Other Animals by Gerrald Durrell (a memoir of a naturalist's childhood)

Life on Air by David Attenborough (a FABULOUS listen, read by Sir David himself -- you know the British television naturalist)

Most of the above are kid friendly; the next few my teen has listened to, but there is frank talk about adult matters so listener discretion is advised!

By Bill Bryson -- one of my favorite authors and he himself reads these following titles:

• At Home (the history of the English home, furniture and such.)
  • In a Sunburned Country (on Australia; part travel, part history, very funny)
  • Thunderbolt Kid (a memoir)

Random others...

To See Every Bird by Dan Koeppel is a memoir of his childhood -- hippie, divorced parents, but the dad is a birding NUT.

The Big Year -- about the birdwatching competition

Simon Winchester's books would be good on audio also as they are good books and he reads them with his wonderful British accent!

Happy listening!

Non-fiction audio books for a 6 year old boy.

The Burgess Bird book by Thornton W. Burgess

The Burgess Animal book by Thornton W. Burgess

You can search these boards and find the audio recording my dh made of Mr. Q Life science

I think several magic school bus books have been made into audio

Grammar Land (I think 6 is a bit young for it - but if he is advanced in writing)

I have not done it yet, but you can try, "The Fairy Land of Science"

And my one recommendation that is no available for free download here or on LibriVox:

It's not non-fiction, but it is full of science information: George's Cosmic Treasure Hunt" and it's sequel by Lucy and Stephen Hawking

The following from our Audible.com library, and are listed in no particular order

For science in general:

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Get the unabridged version. It is wonderful and I have listened to it over and over

Death by Black Hole by Neil deGrasse Tyson A series of articles he wrote for the American Museum of Natural History magazine, mostly on astrophysics

The Pluto Files also by Neil deGrasse Tyson

The Disappearing Spoon by Sam Kean -- chemistry

Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking

any physics books by Michio Kaku

Animals:

All the James Herriot books -- not exactly pure non-fiction but wonderful

Animals Make us Human by Temple Grandin

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin and Catherine Johnson

My Family and Other Animals by Gerrald Durrell (a memoir of a naturalist's childhood)

Life on Air by David Attenborough (a FABULOUS listen, read by Sir David himself -- you know the British television naturalist)

Most of the above are kid friendly; the next few my teen has listened to, but there is frank talk about adult matters so listener discretion is advised!

By Bill Bryson -- one of my favorite authors and he himself reads these following titles:

• At Home (the history of the English home, furniture and such.)

• In a Sunburned Country (on Australia; part travel, part history, very funny)

• Thunderbolt Kid (a memoir)

Random others...

To See Every Bird by Dan Koeppel is a memoir of his childhood -- hippie, divorced parents, but the dad is a birding NUT.

The Big Year -- about the birdwatching competition

Simon Winchester's books would be good on audio also as they are good books and he reads them with his wonderful British accent!

Happy listening!

Thank you for this list; it's awesome!