Menu

Anyone do RightStart Math w/ 3 yr. old?

CactusPair

I loved RStart math, but my 2 older kids just did not take to it. Bought it and sold it twice, ugh. But they're happy with workbooks and have done well.

My little one is now 3 and I'm wondering if RSmath will work for her.

Has anyone used the abacus/cards with a kid this young?

At what age did you start if it was later?

thanks.

I would honestly wait till four for RS A. At three just leave out trays of Montessori type manipulatives for your little one to interact and play with. You would be amazed how much they learn through simply Playing with manipulatives. Montessori manipulative are by far my favorite for this age!!! They also transition perfectly to RS since RS is based on Montessori math.

Yes. Most likely, you'll just need to slow it down considerably. We would often spend weeks on a single lesson, finding new and different ways to apply the lesson. With that said, I figured out early on that Rightstart wasn't a great fit for me (my kids love the games and didnt seem to mind the approach), so now we just use the games as a supplement to Singapore and MM and will occasionally do a lesson if it applies to what we are working on.

Have you looked at MEP Reception? It might be a good idea to go through that before starting RS. It will provide a very solid foundation for for numbers up to 10, plus it's free :001_smile:

DD wants to "do school" like her brother so right now we will focus on learning letters, numbers, colors, etc. as well as having her create patterns, recognize quantities up to five and other things that are part of the first few RS A lessons. Probably will get her AAR at some point. If figure I'll hold her off as long as I can and if we do use it before she is 4 1/2 or so it will be like the PP mentioned, one lesson lasting days or weeks. Very very slowly.

Thanks for all the ideas and replies!

I'm excited that I get to homeschool a little one again. Hoping that what I've learned with my older 2 will help shape my new adventure with the "baby".

Some of the abbreviations are new to me. What's AAR math?

I'll look into MEP. What's that?

Thanks much!

Thanks for all the ideas and replies!

I'm excited that I get to homeschool a little one again. Hoping that what I've learned with my older 2 will help shape my new adventure with the "baby".

Some of the abbreviations are new to me. What's AAR math?

I'll look into MEP. What's that?

Thanks much!

Sorry I'm on my phone and I haven't figured how to paste links on it. Google

MEP reception and it's the first thing that pops up. Its a free math program that uses a lot of unique puzzles and problem solving techniques to preset concepts. The website

can be a bit confusing at first. You can print everything off (lessons plans, student sheets, and posters) or you can use it fairly successfully on an iPad or tablet. At that age handwriting can still be a challenge so I find that it's easier tO print very little and focus more of interaction.

I used RS A-D (owned E and G but sold) with my dd. I definitely want to do it with my ds, especially RS A-C, which I think are fabulous, however 3.5 is just really young for the general population. Might work for a specific child, but that's not going to be the norm. I got him the Saxon K5, which is really, really adorable and easily in reach and doable for him. After that he should be ready to go into RS A.

I got the cuisenaire rods from ETA/hand2mind, and they're neat. I really really like the Saxon K5 though. The lessons are just the right length for my extremely active (did I mention EXTREMELY active?) boy, and it's totally open and go. Nancy Larson (of Nancy Larson science) wrote the lessons, not Saxon, and they are so cute, so adorable and fun, highly recommend. :)

I think you could easily do some of the early lessons, but honestly, I would try and hold off. ("Seven is the sun song, counting tally sticks and other manipulatives, etc.)

There is no rush or need for a formal curriculum at three.

Your child learns far more from just playing than s/he will learn from Right Start Level A at that age. Really.

You're not missing out on anything nor is s/he going to be behind in any way. Trust me (says the Mom who was all over eager to start DS1 on stuff, but after four kids is far more relaxed. :))

Ok, I'll comment on that even though I COULD go do something really worthwhile like go clean my tub. :D

There's this stage you hit hormonally around 12 where the kids' brains fall out and they forget 2+3 and look at you like you have horns an awful lot. Having been there, I'm *glad* we were a bit advanced early on. It gave us that *cushion* later to let things settle out. However I totally agree the average 3 yo isn't ready to do RS A. A percentage of kids will be ready at age 4 and will even be asking the questions and making them leaps themselves. At that point you're just going with it.