Menu

Well, I did it!

Pen

Awesome! You'll have to let us know your review of this once you've gone through it. I'm still using IEW with my kiddo for now, but many things about the Bravewriter methodology resonate with me, as well. I wonder if using the Bravewriter process approach would help my dd better incorporate the mechanics of punctuation/spelling, etc. into her writing. But I also think part of it might just need maturing like Doodler posted about with the big learning boost that right brained learners hit in puberty.

Would love to see you along your Braverwriter journey, if you're willing to post things as you go! Most definetly would love a review at the end.

Best of luck!

Paula

• 4 weeks later...
Awesome! You'll have to let us know your review of this once you've gone through it. I'm still using IEW with my kiddo for now, but many things about the Bravewriter methodology resonate with me, as well. I wonder if using the Bravewriter process approach would help my dd better incorporate the mechanics of punctuation/spelling, etc. into her writing. But I also think part of it might just need maturing like Doodler posted about with the big learning boost that right brained learners hit in puberty.

Would love to see you along your Braverwriter journey, if you're willing to post things as you go! Most definetly would love a review at the end.

Best of luck!

Paula

Hmmm. I wonder if there's a way to change the title so it makes clear this is a thread of updates now. Anyone know?

End of Week One: Mixed feeling so far. The real question will be whether it seems to help my ds ultimately. So far it has been a very slow start. I guess that can be good for a very very reluctant writer, but was a big let down for my ds who was expecting something more. I guess for me, I came to realize that he isn't that reluctant. In fact, compared to class pace so far, he seems gung ho.

Hearing from other parents has been helpful (but then we get that on this board for free :)) ... Many of us in the class mentioned that we have also tried IEW and some of the comments about that have been interesting. I am trying the Kidswrite online because while I thought IEW was excellent my dc was totally unhappy about doing it. That (in variations) seemed to be the main reason for people in the class to have left it and be trying BW too--things like that their children (or they) found IEW lacking in joy and were trying to find more of that. But there was also one comment that indicated that a child who had done BW was really struggling with high school work while friends who had done IEW were finding it easy. And my own sense when I found IEW was that if only I'd had that myself, college would have been a lot easier. My own way of writing fit much more to the BW system, but it meant everything had to be somehow "inspired"--I'd had no system for just sitting down and churning it out when needed. I think maybe both approaches have their benefits to have as tools in life.

The online class besides its slow start also seems like it may be suffering from being taught by someone other than Julie Bogart who started it. Sometimes it seems like there is a disconnect between the assignments and the responses. For example, the instructions for the first week exercise say to ask the child what they found surprising. A dc writing a reply said that nothing about it seemed surprising and the dc didn't know how to answer that question. The instructor wrote back something like I don't know what question you mean. :confused: It is emphasized at the very end of the assignment instructions for the first week as being the question to ask to get feedback from the children. My dc also found nothing surprising. (Though I think maybe some dc did?) Anyway, I was like, hunh?, didn't this class's instructor read the instructions? It also seemed like at least for the dc replying, my ds, and several others it was not a very effective question...quite aside from whether the teacher knew it was in the instructions or not. Mostly, though the teacher does seem to be doing her best to reply to everyone and to be encouraging.

• 1 month later...