Menu

Shurley 2 or 3

Bree

My ds really loves doing Shurley English and we are 2/3 of the way through SE 1. He is technically in 2nd grade but does mostly 3rd grade work. I was going to buy the 2nd grade book for it, but he really wants me to get him 3rd grade stuff :) Can anyone tell me if there is a big jump from 2 to 3?

Just to continue what sawuk said, I'll suggest that you go look at the scope and sequence for Shurley on their website. You can indeed skip levels and do 2,4,6,7 or 1,3,5,7. What you also might consider doing is getting him some supplements that apply the grammar. Around that age we did the Take 5 Minutes History Fact a Day editing. Writing Tales is very good for applying the grammar, especially in WT2. (I think we did this in 3rd along with Shurley 4.) There are some fun books like the Punctuation Puzzlers you can get from (the name slips me at the moment) that were fun at that age. And of course don't forget Mad Libs and starting latin. :)

PS. We diagrammed along with our Shurley. Just pick one of the three sentences each day and diagram it on a whiteboard.

3 is not a huge jump from 2. As long as he is a strong reader and enjoys writing you should be fine. Reading level definitely changes, as well are how much writing there is. Shurley really begins grammar from the beginning in each book so people feel comfortable skipping levels. It is just a more rapid pace and more material is covered every year. You miss nothing if you skip a level.