Menu

Collecting Bird Feathers & Apologia Zoology

daybreaking

I just learned that it is illegal to collect most bird feathers. It's amazing that I've lived this long without knowing that it's illegal! The question I have is in regards to which feathers may be collected. The Apologia Zoology book says feathers from game birds such as duck, geese and turkeys can be collected; however, so far every site I've visited says that only non-migratory game bird feathers may be collected and that it is illegal to collect duck and goose feathers. Is it possible that Apologia is incorrect? We were planning on collecting feathers soon, so I want to make sure I am following the law. Thanks!

:001_huh: It's new to me too, but I did find this page:

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/about/faqs/birds/feathers.htm

Which says what you mentioned about non-migratory birds, i.e.

In the lower 48 states, all species except the house sparrow, feral pigeon, common starling, and non-migratory game birds like pheasants, gray partridge, and sage grouse, are protected.

This website states:

http://www.lab.fws.gov/featheratlas/

All species of native North American migratory birds are protected by the Migratory Bird Treaty (MBTA). .. The possession of feathers and other parts from MBTA-protected birds without a permission is prohibited.

The link it gives for the MBTA species is broken, but I found this.

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/RegulationsPolicies/mbta/mbtandx.html

This page seems to imply it's OK if it came from a domestic bird (so there are still sources for duck and geese).

http://wizzley.com/i-found-an-owl-feather-but-i-can-t-keep-it/

So the feather (which I haven't identified, but for the sake of argument let's assume it could be anything) that I found in my driveway and which is now on my nature shelf is contraband?

Sorry, but I am not turning it over -- not to the bird who dropped it on my property and certainly not to the feds. :glare:

Leeyeewah,

Thank you for all of those sites! I really appreciate you taking the time to find them. It seems different sites have different takes on the law; t's hard to know exactly what is allowed. We have a lot of Canada geese around here, but according to one of the sites, even they are restricted. :sad:

I have two sad children, now that I've told them we cannot collect nests, eggs & most feathers. I understand the reason for the law, after reading about the terrible things that were done to birds in the name of fashion, but I do wish we were allowed to collect ones we find while taking a nature walk or in our backyards. At the same time, it's important to us to teach our children to follow the law, even if it seems silly.

Thanks again,Leeyeewah. If anyone else has verification on whether Apologia is correct in saying duck and geese feathers might be collected, I'd love the references.

OK, I'm just going to say it. I would keep any feather that fell on my own property regardless of the "law".... Good grief... as if the thing rotting into the ground or being tossed in the yard recycle is better somehow than my kids admiring God's creation.

And if my kids pick up a random feather at the park, I'm going to pretend I didn't notice.... Sheesh.

It seems different sites have different takes on the law; t's hard to know exactly what is allowed. We have a lot of Canada geese around here, but according to one of the sites, even they are restricted. :sad:

You're welcome! Thank you for raising this thread - I didn't even know such a law existed before.

PS: I'm bemused about the Canada geese too - we have plenty around here, and they can be a nuisance sometimes.

PPS: Perhaps you can put up a bird house in your yard, and if the birds nest there, you can look at the nests after the season is over?

OK, I'm just going to say it. I would keep any feather that fell on my own property regardless of the "law".... Good grief... as if the thing rotting into the ground or being tossed in the yard recycle is better somehow than my kids admiring God's creation.

And if my kids pick up a random feather at the park, I'm going to pretend I didn't notice.... Sheesh.

I certainly didn't mean to ruffle anyone's feathers (pun intended). :) I was just sharing where our family stands. Of course, on the surface, it seems silly that it would be illegal to pick up a feather from one's own back yard. I guess we're looking at the big picture, in that we want our children to develop a mindset that all laws must be followed and not just when they make sense. I don't want them to think it's okay to break a law (or ignore a house rule, for that matter) just because they don't agree with it. :)

Perhaps you can put up a bird house in your yard, and if the birds nest there, you can look at the nests after the season is over?

From what I've read, we can look at and observe the nests, as long as we don't touch or move them. (Who knew?! I certainly didn't know anything about this until reading Apologia Zoology I!)

Leeyeewah,

Thank you for all of those sites! I really appreciate you taking the time to find them. It seems different sites have different takes on the law; t's hard to know exactly what is allowed. We have a lot of Canada geese around here, but according to one of the sites, even they are restricted. :sad:

I have two sad children, now that I've told them we cannot collect nests, eggs & most feathers. I understand the reason for the law, after reading about the terrible things that were done to birds in the name of fashion, but I do wish we were allowed to collect ones we find while taking a nature walk or in our backyards. At the same time, it's important to us to teach our children to follow the law, even if it seems silly.

Thanks again,Leeyeewah. If anyone else has verification on whether Apologia is correct in saying duck and geese feathers might be collected, I'd love the references.

We don't have Apologia, so I do not know exactly what is stated there. However, I imagine the only duck and goose feathers you could use would be those from ducks and geese raised for their meat, or legally shot during hunting season.

FWIW, following these laws is not silly at all.

Our ds is an avid bird-watcher and was dismayed when we learned of these laws. Having read the historical need for the law, however, changed our minds. :)

We now observe the feathers then put them back outside, rather like catching a frog and putting it back-- both of which are daily occurrences here. :D Nests, of course, we observe in situ and never disturb. Nests fallen from trees are obsreved, then placed back in the tree.

Speak with a local game warden. They may be able to give you permission to collect the feathers or tell you what you would have to do in order to obtain permission. Our local game warden said he has given permission for educational collection and only required that information on where each feather came from be saved just in case. I am thinking the easiest way to do that would be to take a picture of the feather before picking it up. Of course it will depend on what your local game warden tells you.

Speak with a local game warden. They may be able to give you permission to collect the feathers or tell you what you would have to do in order to obtain permission. Our local game warden said he has given permission for educational collection and only required that information on where each feather came from be saved just in case. I am thinking the easiest way to do that would be to take a picture of the feather before picking it up. Of course it will depend on what your local game warden tells you.

Wow! Great to know. Thanks! :)

So the feather (which I haven't identified, but for the sake of argument let's assume it could be anything) that I found in my driveway and which is now on my nature shelf is contraband?

Sorry, but I am not turning it over -- not to the bird who dropped it on my property and certainly not to the feds. :glare:

Seriously. Way to stunt childhood curiosity! I am quite certain the intent of the law is to make it illegal to go after a bird -- hunting it for its feather(s).

Care to share the historical need and how it relates to children collecting feathers left in the backyard?

We don't have Apologia, so I do not know exactly what is stated there. However, I imagine the only duck and goose feathers you could use would be those from ducks and geese raised for their meat, or legally shot during hunting season.

FWIW, following these laws is not silly at all.

Our ds is an avid bird-watcher and was dismayed when we learned of these laws. Having read the historical need for the law, however, changed our minds. :)

We now observe the feathers then put them back outside, rather like catching a frog and putting it back-- both of which are daily occurrences here. :D Nests, of course, we observe in situ and never disturb. Nests fallen from trees are obsreved, then placed back in the tree.

Care to share the historical need and how it relates to children collecting feathers left in the backyard?

And deprive you of a chance to do the research yourself? Of course not! ;)

FWIW, it seems harmless to *me* to collect feathers. But I'm not in charge of these things. :) I think the PP suggestion of talking to the local game warden for permission to collect for educational reasons is reasonable and exciting! My boys would love to start a collection. :)

Edited by Medieval Mom