Menu

? About buying texts vs.....

letting Dc read from a teacher's manual. I bought BJU Biology TEs b/c I wanted some easy-peasy review questions to go with chapters even though we are using DIVE. The student bk is, of course, reprinted in the TE, but smaller.

I asked Ds to read aloud from it. He did fine. Dh thinks he should have his own student book. I do not want to spend more $$ that I can use for other things, like lab supplies. I hate the idea of buying material I already have.

Ds son thinks it will strain his eyes. My solution---use my reading glasses, which have the smallest magnification possible and are cheapy over the counter glasses.

My other reason for wanting him to use the TE is that sometimes the TE has some extra info that Imight want him to read.

So, am I being too cheap (which is usually Dh's issue)? Would you break down and buy the student books?

I guess it depends, to me, on whether there is something in the TE that I DON'T want him to have access to (test questions,etc). If not, I would probably not buy the student edition. Not only because of money, but also space (we are pretty tight here). That being said, your resale value may, in fact, be better with both. You could look around and see if you can find the student edition, used, cheap.

I guess it depends, to me, on whether there is something in the TE that I DON'T want him to have access to (test questions,etc). If not, I would probably not buy the student edition. Not only because of money, but also space (we are pretty tight here). That being said, your resale value may, in fact, be better with both. You could look around and see if you can find the student edition, used, cheap.

I save books for Dd, so resale won't be great by then. Tests are through DIVE, written assignments are through DIVe. I don't care if he sees answers in TE. I can still quizz him out loud while I have the TE in my hands to see if he knows the info....and I will have the answers w/o always having to read the chapter.

Wow, my eyes are hurting just thinking about it. :001_huh: That's a LOT of reading to do that way. It's not like you're saying just a paragraph here or there. And when you're straining to read, that's energy you're not putting into processing. And you might want him to be able to highlight, outline, take notes, or otherwise mark in the text. That's why BJU has gone softcover on these textbooks, because they *want* the student to write in it, highlight it, etc.

I have the BJU Geography tm and returned the student text. If I just have her reading bits at a time, that's no biggee. (reference, occasional dipping in) But for something with a lot of material where you really want them to dig in and study, I want the full size. So for history, physical science, etc., I've got the full student version. Biology I haven't done, but I've seen it and it's a lot of material. I'm just with your husband on this one. :001_smile:

Wow, my eyes are hurting just thinking about it. :001_huh: That's a LOT of reading to do that way. It's not like you're saying just a paragraph here or there. And when you're straining to read, that's energy you're not putting into processing. And you might want him to be able to highlight, outline, take notes, or otherwise mark in the text. That's why BJU has gone softcover on these textbooks, because they *want* the student to write in it, highlight it, etc.

I have the BJU Geography tm and returned the student text. If I just have her reading bits at a time, that's no biggee. (reference, occasional dipping in) But for something with a lot of material where you really want them to dig in and study, I want the full size. So for history, physical science, etc., I've got the full student version. Biology I haven't done, but I've seen it and it's a lot of material. I'm just with your husband on this one. :001_smile:

Buy the kid the book.

Okay, okay. I get it. I've found them relatively inexpensively. This summer has been the worst for buying and I am trying to skimp. Please don't turn me in to DYFS. I promise I won't make him read from the TE. :D Thanks for the kick in the butt.

ETA: I bought the text on ebay tonight, and I even told Dh he was right.

Edited by shanvan