Menu

Pompano Beach, FL trip

We are driving down to see Winter in Clearwater for a day, then spending a week in Pompano Beach. This will be in January.

We have never been to Florida and have no idea what to expect. We plan on just hanging out at the beach.

Is there anything we should see? Best beaches? I want to go down to Miami one day since we'll be so close, but what should we do once we get there?

We'll also be visiting friends one day in Boynton Beach.

Thanks for any advice!

Don't go to Miami. Yuck. Honestly...nothing to do there really, and very easy to end up in a bad neighborhood by mistake. Instead, go to the Museum of Discovery and Science in Ft. Lauderdale.

Also, as for the beach, keep in mind that January is our coldest month usually. So it might not be swimming weather. It might, but it might not, just depends on if a cold front comes through. Last year was warm, but the year before it was in the 40s and 50s several times (during the day). You could still build sand castles and such, but keep that in mind.

If the weather is yucky maybe drive out here, to this Seminole museum, I want to go but we moved to Orlando. http://www.ahtahthiki.com/

Oh, and there is the Morikami Museum, very very cool place: http://www.morikami.org/

If you drive towards the middle of the state there are swamp buggy rides and airboat rides and such.

South Florida Parenting and Cold Stone sponsers a kids' Funpass that offers free or discounted admission plus free ice cream, discounts, etc in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties. They are $12.95 each child (one pass per child, no multiple admissions) and save a boatload of money. You don't have to be Florida residents to purchase them. I think you can buy them at certain Cold Stone locations, but you can also buy them online here..

Here's a list of all the cool free stuff (Museum of Science and Discovery is on it):http://www.sun-sentinel.com/features/south-florida-parenting/to-do/sfe-sfp-funpass-locations,0,4718785,full.story

Boca Raton has my favorite beaches (I grew up there), but Pompano near the pier has a playground. Where are you staying?

South Florida doesn't have a whole lot of History, but the Stranahan House in Ft. Lauderdale is neat.

I don't know how old/how many kids you have, but Las Olas Blvd is really fun to stroll down.

If you have a sitter, or if you don't but want a special evening out, the Mai-Kai is a blast. It's a Polynesian old fashioned Tiki restaurant/show that has been around since the 50's or 60's. It's an old Florida landmark. I've been on dates there in the early 80's :D Here's a buy one, get one free coupon:http://www.dinebroward.com/home/restaurants/mini_sites/mai_kai/dinner_in_lanai_01.htm

Second the Morakam museum and Japanese tea garden. My mom and dad just took my 17yo (I've never been) when she was down there visiting and she said it was her favorite thing she did.

Try Fern Forest Nature Center Boardwalk http://www.broward.org/parks/fernforestnaturecenter/pages/default.aspx

or Jacee park on Federal Hwy in Pompano for free ways to burn off energy.

Butterfly world is unique and fun for littles and you can usually find coupons online.

Edited by Barb F. PA in AZ

Thank you!!! We are staying at the Wyndham Palm-Aire, so not right on the beach, but we can take a shuttle to their sister resort on the beach. Our girls will be 10, so they do everything with us and we love to eat! Thanks for all the links and discounts, too!

If you have access to a car, I think I might skip the shuttle and head to a public beach. I suppose you could try it both ways. That's funny...your resort is about 1-2 miles away from where we used to live when my oldest kids were born. There's a Publix just down the road so food will be convenient if you have a fridge in your room.

Dh grew up there and I've been down there twice staying at his parents' condo. It was fun. If your up for we drove down to the keys one day. Not all the way to Key West one of the closer keys. That was fun. We went over and explored Ft. Lauderdale some and we did the Miami thing. Meh. Mostly we hung out at the beach. It was beautiful. We went on a tour of an old house and I can't for the life of me remember the name. It was beautiful. I'll have to ask DH when he gets home. Oh, we also did a boat tour of the rich and famous homes on the Intercoastal. I don't remember where we did that at. LOL, I guess I should wait for DH to get home to try to write this post.

We love Butterfly World.

January might be a good month to go down to the Everglades Natl Park.

If you like shopping - there's the Sawgrass Mills out in Sunrise.

Our favorite Beach is Deerfield - south of Hillsboro Blvd. But bring some sweat shirts - the wind may be a little much in January.

Museum of Science and Discovery, Metro Zoo (I think its called Zoo Miami now), Palm Beach Zoo, Young at Art Museum, Butterfly World are all favorite attractions.

The Mai-Kai used to have a family show. I can't believe I lived there for over 35 years and haven't gone yet!!

Sugar Sands Park up in Boca would be a fun place to play.

For the tour on the intercoastal try the Jungle Queen or you can just ride the water taxis. Oops the Jungle Queen is on the New River - you still get to see the big houses and an "Indian Village" Can't believe they still call it that on their website!

Oh - you'll want to go to Butterfly World on a warm day - if a cold front comes through the butterflies will not be active and you'll miss the magic. And even though its pricey - it's worth it - the place is really huge and houses birds, gardens, and an insect zoo as well. If you cross the street to the other side of the park there is a farm and a historical home. There's also a few letterboxes at this park, Tradewinds Park.