Menu

Do I need a molecule kit?

Paintedlady

We'll be studying chemistry/elements this year and I want to be able to build molecules. Do I need a kit or can I get by using marshmallows or gum drops with toothpicks? I've seen various examples online but don't know how well they worked out.

If you didn't decide to buy a kit, do you now wish you had. Would it have been more effective, easier? If you did buy a kit, do you feel like it was worth the extra expense or an unnecessary purchase?

We haven't studied molecules yet, but. . .I have heard of people on this forum using legos to make molecules. Here's a link:

http://howtosmile.org/record/5478

I will be using this when we do molecules in science. If you look at the teacher's guide it talks about having a "Legos Atom and Molecule Kit" but it describes the kit as containing "24 white1x2, 4 grey 2x4, 12 black 2x4, 8 yellow 2x4, 8 green 2x4, 36 red 2x4, 32 blue 2x4."

If you have legos at home you should be able to come up with this kit quite easily!

We haven't studied molecules yet, but. . .I have heard of people on this forum using legos to make molecules. Here's a link:

http://howtosmile.org/record/5478

I will be using this when we do molecules in science. If you look at the teacher's guide it talks about having a "Legos Atom and Molecule Kit" but it describes the kit as containing "24 white1x2, 4 grey 2x4, 12 black 2x4, 8 yellow 2x4, 8 green 2x4, 36 red 2x4, 32 blue 2x4."

If you have legos at home you should be able to come up with this kit quite easily!

I've never heard of this before. Pretty cool! I'll take a look.

One tip I got from a friend who is a high school teacher is to use inflated balloons to demonstrate molecules. It gives an idea of the movement of the particles. She didn't use it as her only demonstration, just one of a couple different models

A kit can be handy, but it maybe can wait for high school?

One tip I got from a friend who is a high school teacher is to use inflated balloons to demonstrate molecules. It gives an idea of the movement of the particles. She didn't use it as her only demonstration, just one of a couple different models

A kit can be handy, but it maybe can wait for high school?

I never considered balloons either. It seems like those would be harder to use though b/c they could be popped. I'm sure my kids would love it though. :tongue_smilie:

I'm thinking if they're needed again in high school I might be more inclined to buy the set b/c I'd use them again, yk?

We have a set, and whilst we've used it a lot, we've also used jelly sweets, lego, people, etc. A set isn't essential, so don't feel you'd be missing out if you didn't have it, but on the other hand it's nice for if you don't want them to eat the atoms.