Menu

Reconciling MOH 1 and SOTW 1 for timeline purposes

I don't think SOTW starts with an early date, does it?

Does MOH follow Ussher's 4004 dating? I can't recall, tho I have used it.

I think it's helpful to leave the beginning things of time undated on a timeline, and just start with Abraham. Even tho that's also disputed, it's a little more mainstream.

I think it's helpful to leave the beginning things of time undated on a timeline, and just start with Abraham. Even tho that's also disputed, it's a little more mainstream.

Agree. Either that or put an approximate date *range*. Even some programs that believe in the biblical, literal 6-day Creation account don't always agree on an *exact* date that Creation occurred... but of course they're much, much closer than other views might take, with a very narrow date range.

I hadn't heard there was disagreement on the dating of Abraham, though. I thought that was a pretty well documented historical fact. Regardless of when or how you believe the existence of man occurred, the Bible lays out a pretty detailed description of generations, with their exact ages, from the time of Adam. You'd have to believe that the details in the Bible during those generations following Creation is just flat out wrong to get Abraham confused. :confused:

I agree, though, that after Abraham there it's pretty safe to date the events regardless of which source they're coming from.

I don't think SOTW starts with an early date, does it?

Does MOH follow Ussher's 4004 dating? I can't recall, tho I have used it.

SOTW has nomads roaming around in 7000 BC and MOH doesn't have the Earth created until 4004 BC. That was my problem.

OK, now I'm feeling like a complete moron. I've also been using the same schedule listed above, but I had never paid attention to the dates :blush:. I just looked at the order of the chapters. It lines the dates up well. I can't believe I did that... now slinking back to my newbie corner. :tongue_smilie:

Thanks for your help.

A certain resolution would be to chronologically list the events/people without actually placing a date. You could use blank lines and mark the beginning date as pre-history. We do this even for the dinosaurs. While I believe in a much older earth, I believe in the Bible. We just don't date anything until Abraham too. We acknowledge that most dates are only best guesses because of the lack of recorded history.

A certain resolution would be to chronologically list the events/people without actually placing a date. You could use blank lines and mark the beginning date as pre-history. We do this even for the dinosaurs. While I believe in a much older earth, I believe in the Bible. We just don't date anything until Abraham too. We acknowledge that most dates are only best guesses because of the lack of recorded history.

Fabulous idea. We will definitely do that. The girls noticed immediately the inconsistency in dating and we talked about just that, so I'm sure they will be on board with just ordering the early events.

I use Ussher's timeline because it's easy, not because I believe it's right. We often use the Bible as a literature book.

When I hang up a timeline, I place Abraham on a corner. Before the corner I hang all sorts of conflicting things above and below the main timeline.

Life is too short to obsess over timelines and origin science. There are SO many other critical topics to cover.

I believe that faith and science are incapable of proving or disproving each other. They are different systems that play by different rules. I encourage my students to adopt a humble attitude of being comfortable with not knowing, and to focus on what they do know.