Menu

Mapping the World With Art--how to schedule?

Paintedlady

I'm going through Ellen McHenry's Mapping the World With Art and trying to figure out how to schedule it. There are 30 lessons so I'm assuming one lesson a week, but how many days a week is best? Is it something you can get through in one day (I have an 11 &12 yr old) or is better to break into smaller parts over more than one day?

Also, did you read the history pages(s), then do the map drawing, and then an activity? Is that the way it's supposed to be laid out? I don't see any directions but am guessing since those are the main components.

Thanks for any help!

My 15 yods did this last year and we basically worked on it three days a week. He would read the lesson one day, do the drawing lesson one day, and do an activity one day. When there was a longer drawing lesson, I would break it down between two days and if the activities seemed too young for him I would skip them. I think I ended up with about 34 weeks of lessons but I can't remember if that includes the final project or not.

I don't think there's really a schedule included in the book. I just started flipping through and making assignments that I thought were reasonable amounts of work for one day and ended up with the 34 weeks of three days each.

We read the lesson and then drew the map. Doing both took us about 35-45 minutes tops. I didn't schedule the activities, instead my girls did them during their free time if they seemed interesting.

After the first few weeks I assigned review a few times a week.

So we spent about 1-1/3 hours a week on the program.

I don't think there's really a schedule included in the book. I just started flipping through and making assignments that I thought were reasonable amounts of work for one day and ended up with the 34 weeks of three days each.

That's what I'm doing tonight. I don't know if I can squeeze in 3 days though. I'll have to see what we can get done in 2. Thanks!

funny I posted this on the logic board today too. I finally decided to do the reading on day 1, the mapwork on day 3 and an extra activity on day 3. A few of the maps I added an extra 3 days of activities (for ones that had 45 minute movies to watch).