Menu

Argh. The washing machine won't agitate. Now what??

I have been doing laundry off and on since noon. The washer was working fine. I just filled it up and added clothes, shut the lid, and .... nothing. I have tried it on all settings. I tried resetting the wash dial and thn filling it again (bumped it up from xsmall to small load), still no joy. The on light comes on, but nothing MOVES. I can't even get it to spin out. So now I have a tub full of water, wet soapy clothes, and I don't know what to do now.

Thanks. I do have a spin cycle, but it wouldn't work. I had my stepdad look at it and he messed with it and got it working again. Sort of. Now, after it fills initially, you have to smack the top of the washer to start it agitating. It works fine after that, assuming you don't open the lid for anything. If you open the lid, you have to smack the top again. It was just looked at last week, because the tub was off balance and he said that one of the feet had gotten loose and the washer, itself, was not level. He fixed that, now I guess he can come back and look at it again. :glare: I can't do without a washer for long.

I have been doing laundry off and on since noon. The washer was working fine. I just filled it up and added clothes, shut the lid, and .... nothing. I have tried it on all settings. I tried resetting the wash dial and thn filling it again (bumped it up from xsmall to small load), still no joy. The on light comes on, but nothing MOVES. I can't even get it to spin out. So now I have a tub full of water, wet soapy clothes, and I don't know what to do now.

It could be as simple as the door switch being broken. I had this problem in a washer at a rental. Repair guy fixed it in 5 minutes. $50 (No time or knowledge to do it myself yet!).