Menu

Help me out here. - HO: Ancients, Unit 2 - Stone Age Man, Cavemen, Neanderthals?

pitterpatter

I'm working on resources for History Odyssey: Ancients. Unit 2 is entitled, "The Move from Caves to Towns". I could include pretty much any book that deals with stone age man, cavemen or neanderthals right? Some of what I'm looking at are more for fun (bedtime reading) than for school. I notice a lot are depicted with mammoths, which I wouldn't think would totally fit, but...

Some books recommended by HO and also STOW are:

One Small Blue Bead - Byrd Baylor

The First Dog - Jan Brett

Ug: Boy Genius of the Stone Age - Raymond Briggs

Little Grunt and the Big Egg: A Prehistoric Fairy Tale - Tomie dePaola

Your Mother Was a Neanderthal (Time Warp Trio #4) - Jon Scieszka

Little grunt... Is a cute story, very much fantasy. My kids enjoyed it and asked me to re-read it immediately. Definitely worth getting from the library for a five year old.

The first dog.... We really enjoy Jan Brett's illustration style - so much to notice in the border pictures. I bought this one.

I would recommend checking your library and just using what they have rather than searching for certain titles.

This is what I'm working on. I've found a few other titles, but am wondering about them because some are generically caveman themed or stone age themed or what-have-you. I notice the illustrators take some liberties. For example, a lot of cavemen or stone age men are drawn with mammoths. Giant mammoths weren't really of this age...they were of the ice age. Does it really matter at this level? I mean, as long as I'm not really books clearly set in the ice age, does it matter if they're totally accurate?

For example, this is a new book published this past March.

51895gvL5cL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Kalis-Song-Jeanette-Winter/dp/0375870229/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343763968&sr=8-1&keywords=kali%27s+song

Little grunt... Is a cute story, very much fantasy. My kids enjoyed it and asked me to re-read it immediately. Definitely worth getting from the library for a five year old.

The first dog.... We really enjoy Jan Brett's illustration style - so much to notice in the border pictures. I bought this one.

I would recommend checking your library and just using what they have rather than searching for certain titles.

Yeah, I totally wasn't impressed with the preview of the Neanderthal one. We'll be skipping it as well.

We read all of these and they were not my favorite books. Indy loved them, but I was....less than thrilled. They were kind of crude.

A friend of mine used The Boy of the Painted Cave when they did ancients 2. I've ordered it for us, but it hasn't arrived yet.