Menu

Who had the "refried" beans recipe that makes 50 burritos?

Sorry that's such a weird title. Someone mentioned that they make beans that are not actually refried, but that are mashed and sauted or something. I thought, "Wow, what a delicious-sounding idea! I should write that down!" But I didn't. And I didn't post to the thread and now I don't know if I could find it.

Could the refried-bean lady step forward and share her recipe again, please?:001_smile:

Ha! A month or so ago I found a really old post of mine in which I was rambling on about being scared of pressure cookers! And now it's the only way I cook dry beans. I was previously cooking beans plain in the pressure cooker, and then separately cooking the sauce, adding them together, blah blah, anyway I like this one. Anyway I think the basic idea is like Bethany's recipe, and it comes out very nice and flavorful. (I tweak the Hip Pressure Cooking recipe a bit, but all that parsley really is not overwhelming, by the way.)

I'm not the bean lady, :tongue_smilie:, but I use this recipe, and I've seen it mentioned here lately, so maybe that's it.

Is the "slow cooker" the recipe mentions a crock pot?? I don't have one of those. Could I cook them on the stove top in a big pot instead?

BillieBoy on page 1 of the cooking from scratch thread has a recipe for 50+ burritos:

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/sh...d.php?t=410189

Yes! Yay! Thank you, post sleuth!

Is the "slow cooker" the recipe mentions a crock pot?? I don't have one of those. Could I cook them on the stove top in a big pot instead?

A slow cooker is a crock pot. I don't know about cooking them on the stove. I'm sure you can do it, I just don't know how the times work out.

A slow cooker is a crock pot. I don't know about cooking them on the stove. I'm sure you can do it, I just don't know how the times work out.

Thanks for your reply. Whenever I make beans I use the stove top and cook them in a big pot so I could probably figure the times out, I just didn't know if had to have a slow cooker for them to come out properly according to the recipe.

You just need to watch them more closely for burning / drying out if you cook them on the stove. In a crock pot, it's a lot harder to do either.

Thanks hon. :) You soak the beans overnight like all beans, no? Maybe I'll put some to soak and make this recipe tomorrow. :)

Thanks hon. :) You soak the beans overnight like all beans, no? Maybe I'll put some to soak and make this recipe tomorrow. :)

I would, if you're doing it on the stove. Otherwise it just takes forever, and, well, it's easy for me to burn it that way! I love cooking a big pot and then freeing smaller portions for later.