Menu

Letter from church regarding finances

That would send me packing to another church. I understood the italicized part as saying he periodically checks to see who gives and how much they give to make a judgement on a family's spiritual condition based on that information. I'm not okay with that. There's no biblical mandate that says you have to pledge a certain amount every year. I'm Baptist though. Maybe things are very different with Episcopal?

:iagree:

So, if you sign a pledge, by virtue of it being legally binding, it is very much like an oath. You need to follow through with it. If circumstances change and you move, leave the church, etc. you have made a legally binding and a spiritually binding oath to that entity. It then changes what you can do financially for your own church family in your new place.

He also says, "A pledge card is a very, very poor substitute for faith based living and logical decision making (Come let us reason together) by a church board and for personal integrity from the congregation."

Faith

Although I see that this way could work, I have no problem with the system of pledging at our church. It's actually called an "estimate of giving", not a pledge, at our church. And it clearly states that it is just an estimate, and if it needs to change, to let the treasurer know. The treasurer gives changes to the finance committee, not by name, but overall totals each month. Only the treasurer knows who gives what (for income tax purposes).