Menu

What can I use for Math Testing?

I'm planning on using a lot of hands on things for math this year so we won't be leaving a very long paper trail. Since we have to have samples of my dc's work reviewed by a certified teacher each year I thought that maybe I should just give them a test at the beginning of the year, at the middle and then at the end of the year to show there progress. But I don't know what test to use. Any ideas? Thanks!

Sometimes you can find copies of your state's standardized tests or assessments online. Take a look at some of the sites that offer free worksheets, maybe a few of those would do the trick. Also, many of the public school textbook publishers offer online support materials including workbooks and online tests.

Here are some of the textbook links:

http://www.phschool.com/webcodes10/index.cfm?fuseaction=home.gotoWebCode&wcprefix=adk&wcsuffix=0099

http://www.mhschool.com/math/2003/student/

http://www.letsgolearn.com

If you buy through HSBC you save about $5 on each test.

My only caveat on these is-if your child is working above or below grade level, put their grade in as the level that you want the test to start on. Otherwise, you can end up either boring or frustrating your child very easily. You can change the grade on the printed report later if you need it for documentation purposes.

www.letsgolearn.com

If you buy through HSBC you save about $5 on each test.

My only caveat on these is-if your child is working above or below grade level, put their grade in as the level that you want the test to start on. Otherwise, you can end up either boring or frustrating your child very easily. You can change the grade on the printed report later if you need it for documentation purposes.

:iagree:

I didn't do this last year when DS took the DORA. He was very, VERY frustrated by the length of time it took him to get through certain subsections. Luckily, this year (just this morning, in fact) it started him where he "left off", so to speak, so those subtests were much, much shorter compared to last year.

Another option - we use Math Minutes from Creative Teaching Press. It is a daily math review/warm-up. It is short and sweet and would create a paper trail for you to use.

We used Math Minutes this spring to help prepare for testing. It helped me see where dd had a few gaps.

I prefer this type of assessment to standardized testing. It is only necessary to test the narrowest scope and sequence of skills. My tutoring students like to be able to chart their progress on drills.

I've been using cheap assessment worksheets from Scholastic.